We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N62/Garden Route Itinerary

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
N62/Garden Route Itinerary

Planning our itinerary for February/March and would appreciate any advice. We are hiring a self-drive car. We arrive in Cape Town on 17 Feb and leave Cape Town on 7 March so we have 18 nights in total. Travelling with my husband. Both in 60s.

2 nights Capetown on arrival staying An African Villa.

3 nights Franschoek in La Petite Ferme

2 nights Outdshoorn

Maybe need to stay a night on the way?

3 nights Blaauwbosh Nature Reserve? or other recommended

Return on N2 highway back to Capetown via:

Natures Valley (Tranquility Lodge/Plateau Country House?

Wilderness (Porcupine Pie Lodge?)

Swellendam - Rotman Manor? want to visit de Hoop Bird Sanctuary

Work our way back to Cape Town and wonder if it is worth taking in Hermanus as there will be no whales.

Will probably stay in Cape Town for our last night and take in Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens on our last day.

We like a mixture of luxury and really good B & Bs all in quiet location. We like walking, birding, wildlife, nature and are not mad on beach. We like good food and wine but want to avoid anywhere too large and touristy.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Miranda P

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: N62/Garden Route Itinerary

I would encourage you to stay longer in Cape Town - at least 4 nights and more if possible! Unless you have been beofre there is so much to see and do. Personally I would not choose LPF in Franschhoek - have a look at Ashbourne House - it is much better located for visiting restaurants in the evening (and frankly LPF food is not so special). It is a wonderful B&B. Likewise, Rosenhof in Outdshoorn would be another luxury B&B experience and they provide dinner. Based on my recent experience avoid the restaurant Jemimas. You would not have to stay another night en route in order to get to Blaauwbosh.

I do not know Porcupine Pie Lodge in Wilderness but can certainly recomend Cinnamon House and it has an excellent restaurant, In Swellendam, try to eat at La Sosta, it comes highly recommended. Swellendam is 2 hours drive from Cape Town so you could if you wish drive from there directly to the airport.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: N62/Garden Route Itinerary

Must agree with macsym that in 18 nights only 2 nights in Cape Town is FAR too little. My recomendation is always to split your time at least 50:50 between Cape Town/Winelands and the Garden Route. Hence if you stay 3 nights in the winelands - also agree with macsym on LPF - that leaves 6 nights in Cape Town and 9 nights on the Garden Route/Little Karoo.

Lots of people seem not to realise that there is far better coastal scenery in and around Cape Town than on the "Garden Route", where you are hardly ever in sight of the sea while travelling. You also have to remember that Cape Town is one of the few cities in the World which has a complete National Park (Table Mountain NP) within the metropolitan boundaries. Hundreds of kms of walking trails all the way up to the 5 day Hoerikwaggo Trail where you can walk all day in the mountains and feel that you are 500km from the neatest city - and not just 30mins drive from one of the world's great cities! sanparks.org/parks/…default.php

Also one of the few cities with a world class wine route (Constantia) within the city boundaries. Plenty of quiet places to stay as well as bustling city locations.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 13:14
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: N62/Garden Route Itinerary

Agree with Macsym - you should definitely stay longer in Cape Town itself - even if you are not "city people" there is easily scope for staying there for 4/5 nights - as well as Kirstenbosch there is of course Table Mountain and you could easily spend a whole day touring the Cape Point area, as well as many other things.

La Petite Ferme - here I disagree with Macsym to a degree - as a B&B I don't rate it - as Macsym has says it is too far out of town for evenings (and there is no dinner service there) - the restaurant is open for lunch only and is worth a visit for the view (and I think the food, whilst not very "modern" is actually rather nice - poor winelist though)

You could drive the R62 to Oudtshoorn in one go but if you want to relax a bit more than I suggest Montagu for an overnight stop.

Back to agreeing with Macsym re Rosenhof and Jemimas in Oudtshoorn.

For Swellendam I suggest De Kloof - central but very quiet - book La Sosta well in advance - in fact most restaurants are worth booking in advance.

Personally I would choose either Natures Valley or Wilderness, not both as they are not that far apart and you really only need one base for that part of the Garden route.

4. Re: N62/Garden Route Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 06:27