We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

Husband and I going to Capetown in early March for 4 days and staying in the waterfront area. Can anyone suggest restaurants that are a must and do we need to make reservations in advance. We don't have a car, but of course, could take taxis. Thanks

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

Have answered this question several times. There are LOTS IN the waterfront. Book for BAIA which has excellent seafood. What kind of budget and what kind of food do you like? Can give u a LONGGG list

Wakame - 2 min drive - 5 min walk also good food + great atmosphere. I know VDEC will recommend Opal Lounge - have to take a taxi!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

We are a couple who likes any good good food and budget is that important(we live in London part of the year, so food is expensive), although only want to spend if food is really worth it. We don't have a preference to what we eat, as long as it is good.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

From your last post I would suggest giving the Waterfront a miss! As Diva says there are dozens of restaurants there but they are mainly slanted to the passing tourist trade. And the better ones, such as Baia are over the top expensive.

Just like if you were in London you wouldn't eat out round Leicester Square every night! However unlike London most of Cape Town's best restaurants are no more than 5 or 10 mins drive or taxi from the Waterfront.

Cape Town is one of the World's Restaurant Hot Spots. In the 2010 Trip Advisor survey of many thousands of posts Cape Town came out as the Number two destination in the World for Food and Wine.

Rather than post it all again here is a link to a recent post on restaurant choices :

tripadvisor.com/…29739325

Alternatively - for others choices - just click on Restaurants immediately to your left. You will notice that only one in the top 30 is at the Waterfront and that is Willoughby's which is inside the shopping mall and a place where locals go when they shop!

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

I'm not sure how up-to-date this website is but it has lots of info about the waterfront including a list of restaurants.

waterfront.co.za/home/…home_introduction.aspx

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

Whilst in no way disagreeing with VdC and accepting that Willoughby's is good if you like Sushi, I do think that not all restaurants in the V&A area are tourist trap's. There is good eating to be had at all price levels.

Two restaurants are perhaps more commonly discussed than others

Baia - good if expensive seafood (although not in a central London expensive way) and really only recommendable if you book in advance and get a terrace table for the view which is rather nice to say the least

Belthazar - good if expensive steaks (as above) but conversely to Baia, eat inside in the lovely plush banquettes, eating outside might seem nice at first but you will soon be bothered by the passing human horde if not the seagulls

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

Let’s not forget that whilst we have some superb restaurants in the CBD, many visitors want to be able to enjoy our fine weather and be able to eat outside on a terrace with a nice view. So like or not, the V & A Waterfront is the best place for this. Baia, Belthazar, Emilys, Sevruga, Hilderbarnd will all give you a great dining experience. Wines tend to be more expensive in the V & A restaurants, but most (if not all) allow you to bring your own for a very modest corkage fee.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

I didn’t think that the OP’s question was - are there any restaurants where you can eat at the Waterfront.? The answer is obviously many – and yes some of them have great views. If I am at the Waterfront for some other reason, there are plenty were I have enjoyed a meal. From the Ocean Basket (about the best view at the Waterfront and excellent fish and chips for R45!) upwards.

However I thought that the question was, we are coming to Cape Town. Where are the “must eat” restaurants – ones with “good, good food” and “really worth it” in value for money? We are staying at the Waterfront but we could take a taxi if the best restaurants required that. Even the title said “around” the V&A Waterfront not “at” the Waterfront.

I stand by my recommendation that virtually all the best restaurants in Cape Town – in terms of the quality of the food, the innovation of the cooking, the overall experience and value for the money spent – are in areas other than the V&A Waterfront.

BTW plenty of the restaurants on my list that I linked to, also have excellent outdoor dining. Some such as Myoga, the Conservatory@the Cellars, the Roundhouse and, as Diva mentioned Wakame also have equally fabulous views.

Oh and one other answer to the OP. I really would make reservations at virtually all the restaurants on my list – except the pubs. At the Waterfront restaurants you normally walk up and down and pick one – mostly you don’t need to make a reservation.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

The OP states in the title "Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront" which I believe is why a number of us contributors have given details on restaurants in the V & A Waterfront.. But I am sure the OP is very grateful for your input on other restaurants Vdec.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

Try Quay 4 www.quay4.co.za in the waterfront and overlooks the harbour, not too expensive either took my paernts there for there 40th Anniversary about £100 with wine etc for 4.

10. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town around V & A waterfront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 20:05