We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Hi Everyone

I am going to South Africa on the 5th-19th April 2011. During this time I will be in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Garden Route.

Can anyone advise me how much spending money I would need? I was thinking of bringing £800 so roughly about R8,429. Is this enough? My accomodation has been paid for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

More than enough! I reckon 50 Euro per day is more than enough

For 5 Euro you can buy a hamburger and a Coke and still get change

For 10 Euro you can have a fairly good lunch or dinner at a steakhouse.

Of course a good restaurant will cost more, about 15 Euro per person.

A movie will cost about 4 Euro per person.

To go up Table Mountain in Cape Town will cost about 18 Euro per person and a beer at a restaurant is less than 2 Euro.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 14:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

You don;t have to 'bring' any money. You can get it out as needed from ATMs as at home.

Roughly, living costs are about half London prices.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Navigator - with no disrespect you cant compare Pretoria to Cape Town. I dont know where in Cape Town you can get a hamburger and coke for 5 Euro unless you go to MacDonalds or Steers and get take outs. And where can you have a fairly good dinner in Cape TOwn for 10 euros . A 200g steak perhaps with nothing else or a hamburger at a steakhouse. It all depends what you need your spending money for. TripmeUp-You say you will be in Cpt, Johannesburg and the Garden Route - will your travelling expenses by paid for and what about taxis. Also will you be buying gifts and doing tours. As Peter Scot says you dont need money, you can use an ATM and a credit card. However you should have some Rands cash on you for incidentals for sure. SO bring 800 pounds or 500 pounds in cash and use the ATM and your credit card should you require more.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Diva. Why carry around £500 or £800? You still have to convert this to Rand. Pounds are no good to spend anywhere! You will nearly always get a better rate withdrawing Rand from an ATM against your bank Debit Card, than changing cash anywhere, and particularly in exchange offices or hotels. Also much better than changing money in the UK and bringing Rand with you.

There are five Bank ATMs at Cape Town International new arrivals (central area) and many more at Joburg's OR Tambo. Use your debit card to get some rand when you land.

Then why carry around so much money in any currency? You can drop it, leave it lying around - or even get it stolen! IMO no need to cash much more than R2,000 or so at any one time - £180 today. ATMs are everywhere in this country. All high streets, banks, shopping malls, airports and big petrol stations. All open 24/7. Then as you and others say use your UK Credit Card for everything else - restaurants, hotels, fares, shopping etc. Credit Cards for direct purchases (not ATM cash) are usually even better value than Debit Cards.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 22:33
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

"And where can you have a fairly good dinner in Cape TOwn for 10 euros ." - Ocean Basket - Seafood Platter for one, R 88

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Diva Cape, it seems you don't get out much, with respect. I was in Cape Town and the garden route in December and we bought several meals.

You can get a fairly good meal for 10 Euro in Cape Town.

Not at the Opal lounge of course, but there are many other restaurants, like Lamlee pointed out. An she does not even stay in CT.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Hi lamlee

I think that Diva's point was that whether a Seafood Platter at Ocean Basket or a Steak at Spur this is the cost of a single dish - not a "fairly good dinner". Add a basic desert (just ice cream), only one glass of house wine, coffee and a tip and the cost is about R160 (€18 - £15)

And anyway who wants to come on holiday to Cape Town, which has a range of fantastic restaurants, and eat in a basic chain Steak or Fish and chip restaurant every night? A "good restaurant" you should these days be budgeting R220 per head total. The very important point is that this is only a third more than a standard chain place. In the UK it would be at least twice! Yes you can spend less or you can spend (much) more.

Then my point is that I would put all these restaurant expenses on a Credit Card anyway (settled in full when I get home). So it doesn't affect the amount of cash you need at all.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Navigator. 10 Euro is less than R90. Point me to where in Cape Town in "several fairly good restaurants" that you get a full evening meal - two courses, a glass of wine, coffe and tip - for R90.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 05:04
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

VDC, 10 Euro is not less than R90 like you are saying. It is R95.

Of course you cannot have a 2 or 3 course meal with wine and coffee for that. I agree.

But you can buy a meal in a restaurant like the Ocean basket, Cape Town Fish market, etc for R95.

Clearly I was not saying the visitor should eat at Ocean basket every night.

Just read my posting carefully: I was merely saying it is possible to get a fairly good meal for 10 Euro.

I have eaten in expensive restaurants, like you. I have spend large amounts of money on a dinner.

But I still regard a meal at the Ocean basket of Cape Town fish market as fairly good and acceptable. But clearly you won't eat there every night.

Of course a good restaurant that's not part of a chain will cost around R200 or more per person, like you said.

VDC, you keep on arguing this point when it really is not necessary anymore. You have made your point, can you now put a fullstop to your sentence?

I really do not understand why you always have to debate a point to death. A simple issue is now turning into a really heated debate over nothing.

I am also not sure why you are answering on behalf of Cape Diva.

I was trying to show a poster that you do not need a large wallet for a holiday, and you and Cape Diva have turned this discussion into something unpleasant.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 11:00
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much spending money will I need for South Africa?

Navigator 321 you are not a Capetonian and nor is Lamlee and what do you mean I dont get out much - you dont even know me. I certainly dont go to the restaurants where a main course is R200 or above but geez if you and Lamlee consider Ocean basket OR even worse the Cape town fish market "a good meal" it seems like you are the ones that dont eat out that much. I call that a really lousy meal. The Cape Town Fish Market as far as I am concerned is revolting. As for Ocean Basket, its a hit and miss affair depending which one you go to - but a "good meal" at Ocean Basket no ways. If youre wanting cheap and ok then by all means go to Ocean Basket. If youre looking for a hamburger then by all means go to the Spurs, but if youre looking for a decent meal dont go there. And dont compare restaurants in Pretoria with restaurants in Cape Town. Unfortunatly the restaurants in Cape Town are a LOT MORE expensive than restaurants in Pretoria, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth. Perhaps restaurant recommendations in Cape Town should be left to the Capetonians. I wont go recommending a restaurant in Port Elizabeth OR Pretoria because I do not live there.

VDEC I actually didnt mean carrying around the POUNDS of 500 or 800 - I wrote it in a hurry without rereading what I had written- I meant carrying around the Rand equivalent of the Pounds! Personally I dont use the ATM when I travel overseas which Navigator 31 I do at least twice a year. I always like to have the currency of the country on me as a start and then I change Euros or Dollars or Pounds. Maybe I am one of the few that dont use the ATM - perhaps I am still old fashioned in that regard.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central