We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay or Green Point

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
England
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay or Green Point

Hi all,

We've narrowed our choice to these two areas and would appreciate any advice. We like to have a drink before dinner then perhaps find a bar with some live music, not jazz though. Would both areas be fine for this and would either be substantially more expensive than the other? Our tastes are pretty simple, we both like Italian food and are keen to taste the local fare. In terms of drinks my wife likes wine so there shouldn't be a problem there and I like a beer, any guide on the respective price of a glass of wine and a pint of lager?

Thanks again,

Jim

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Dependent upon exactly what you want and where you buy it a pint of beer is about 15 rand (less than £1.50) and a glass of reasonable wine about 20-25 rand (say £2)

Camps Bay is likely to have some more expensive drinking dens than Green Point and probably the restaurants are a bit pricier as well but both areas have a mix of cheap and cheerfuls and haute cuisine at somewhat loftier prices

To search for Italian restaurants try using the cuisine type filter on

http://www.dining-out.co.za/

They have full menu details and prices

PS - Although SA is well known for wines there are some excellent beers as well - for lager I actually prefer Windhoek which is Namibian but you should also seek out the excellent Birkenhead brewery beers

Edited: 31 January 2011, 22:13
England
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Thanks, great website for dining info.

Couple more queries; as the weather may be unpredictable which of the 2 places would tend to be more sheltered from the wind and is there a more favourable end of Camps Bay to stay at, North at Camps Bay Villas end or South at Camps Bay Resort end?

Jim

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Jim - Camps Bay is a "nicer, more upmarket"area than Green Point. There are plenty of places to have a drink before dinner,. As far as "live music" is concerned, if youre talking about a "band" none of these areas have this. Disco music yes. There is only one restaurant that has "live music" but its jazz mainly and thats Pigalle in Grteen Point. Personally to my mind and I am a S. African I would go with Camps Bay. The restaurants are better, livlier and its a vibe. Green Point is a bit seedy and most of the restaurants are scrappy. One or 2 good ones. Also its only a 10 min drive between Green Point and Camps Bay. Belfast your prices are a little out now though. A restaurant charges between R18-20 for a beer and now the cheapest glass of wine (if not plonk ) is R30 upwards. Camps Bay is a small strip so it makes no difference where you stay. My preference is to stay nearer the beach (and then its also nearer the restaurants). There is a lovely Italian Restaurant near Green Point called "IL LEONE" but its a taxi ride from either Green Point or Camps Bay. There is Italian in Sea Point which is between the 2 so again I would definitely go for Camps Bay as opposed to Green Point.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Jim - what time of the year are you coming. I dont want to go through all your other posts to check so maybe you can just let me know.

England
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

We get to Cape Town on 8th October for 5 nights, thanks for the other info, it's been very difficult to decide where to stay in Cape Town. All the other stops were resonably easy but, as has been pointed out, Cape Town is pretty spread out.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Jim - October is normally the windy months - normally the S.E blows in October and then it blows in Camps Bay and in Green Point. However this season Oct-2010-Feb2011 we have had ongoing south easterly winds so whose to tell whether or not we would have them next October. Also during October the weather is dicey in that its not yet fully into summer but were out of winter (its spring going into summer) so it could be very hot or just warm but its a good time to travel. I think either Camps Bay or even Bantry Bay (The President or The Ambassador) are also good choices. But I wouldnt stay in Green Point, except if youre staying at "The Cape Royale" which is a beautiful apartment hotel but its a stunning hotel surrounded by not that stunning places. Its also a Main Road whereas Camps Bay is at the beach. Again this is IMO. And then again it depends on what youre wanting to spend.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Diva stop living in the past! Greenpoint is a very much up and coming area and not the so called “seedy” area that you described previously - A few years ago maybe, but not now. Greenpoint also has safe and easy access to the V & A Waterfront (20mins on foot), some good restaurants (Hussar, 1800 Degrees, Manos, Giovannis (for coffee).

In my opinion Green Point is no more "seedier" that the Pick & Pay end of Camps Bay beach.

Both Camps Bay and Green Point have something to offer the visitor. If you don’t have a car whilst you are here, then Greenpoint has an advantage as there are many places that you can get to on foot or by a short taxi ride. Camps Bay wins easily over its location – it is a beautiful beach side location.

Why not spend a few days in both? Many visitors I have come into contact with have enjoyed spending time in both areas.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 18:12
England
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Crox,

Thanks for making my choice even more difficult!

Seriously though, it is a difficult choice, I just wish we had 2 weeks in Cape Town then we could perhaps do it justice. I'm very pleased we'll have a car so at least we can have a taste of each area and if cost a few quid in taxis then I'm determined to experience the Waterfront, Green Point and Long Street evening entertainment.

Thanks again all,

Jim

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Crox - dont be ridiculous - staying in both when theyre 10 minutes apart. You asked for an opinion - I gave what i thought was the best advice. I live in the present not the past. Camps Bay is bette - MUCH better.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camps Bay or Green Point

Diva - you will be surprised at just how many people do stay some time on the Atlantic Seaboard and some time in Camps Bay.

Being a so called Destination Expert for Cape Town you should know that in most cases visitors will arrive into Cape Town and after some time touring the area will return or continue their journey from Cape Town. It is therefore quite common for visitors to enjoy time in the Cape Town area (CBD or Atlantic Seaboard) and Camps Bay. It is irrelevant to say that there is just 10 minutes travelling time between the two places. You may feel it is ridiculous for visitors to want to stay in both places, but many of our visitors do infact do this and to call them ridiculous is most unfounded and not appropriate language from a so called Destination Expert.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 20:39
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central