We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mouille Point or Waterkant

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Mouille Point or Waterkant

We are 3 adults hoping to be in CapeTown in mid August. Want to stay at a self catering in an area with lots of restaurants, malls etc Safetywise would you recommend Mouille Point or Waterkant. also any recommended self-catering units or roads in which we should look for accomodation?

In Waterkant we have got an offer for a 2 bedroom apartment at 1000R per night located in the corner of Loader Street and De Smidt Street. Is this area safe?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

Between the two neighborhoods you are asking about - De Waterkant would be the better choice. And yes, that intersection of streets is quite safe. R1000 for that apartment seems reasonable, too.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

Mouille Point has lots of restaurants, good security patrolling up and down, is 2min walk to the waterfront , is on the seaside of the road , next to the new urban park. De Waterkant is nearer to the city centre. IMO I prefer Mouille Point as an area.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

Unless you want to be beside the sea, I think, particularly in August, de Waterkant would be the better choice. If the weather is stormy you will know all about it in Mouille Point! Both are safe areas. There is a high security presence 24hrs in de Waterkant and the corner of de Smidt and Loader is a pleasant spot.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

Have to agree with Dave and Macsym. I have stayed in waterkant on my last 2 visits to Cape Town. Once on de Smidt and once on Loader, so know the area well!! Only a 10 - 15 minute walk to the Waterfront, and a great position for the rest of the city centre area. Very nice shopping centre, Cape Quarter, in waterkant. There are restaurants, but not the best out there in Cape Town, but OK if you just want a 2 minute walk to eat. On the other hand some great breakfast and lunch spots. I wouldn't have any worries about safety. I walked around the waterkant at night with no worries. Security are very visible

Cape Town Central...
Destination Expert
for Camps Bay
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

Access to restaurants, cafes and shops is better in De Waterkant so it would probably suit you better. Both areas are perfectly safe.

I prefer Mouille Point & not much beats watching the stormy sea pounding against the sea wall, but that is personal preference.

Good luck.

Richard Marshall

Nox Rentals

Luxury Camps Bay Vacation Rentals

Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

hi all,

thank you so much for the most valuable advice........think i will settle for waterkant.

7. Re: Mouille Point or Waterkant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 03:17