We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale/Dolphin watching

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
cambridge, cambs
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Whale/Dolphin watching

Going to Cape Town May 7th for 2 weeks, can anyone tell me, Is it too early or too late for boat trip for whale/dolphin watching please

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Hi,

Somewhat too early for whales (they start to arrive in June) and dolphins can be seen sporadically any time from shore - no boat trips that I am aware of.

cambridge, cambs
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Thank you, appreciate any info

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Hi,

I'll be taking my Teenage daughters to Cape Town next week (July 7th) for a week (I visited last year on my own for business and fell in love with it - even in the winter season!), and finalising how best to use our time.

They would like to see whales and/or sharks and/or dolphins , but I don't know if we may be just too early for the whales - if we drive to Hermanus what are the chances of seeing them this early in the season?

From what I've see on the Forums the drive in itself is pretty spectacular, and we could stop in Bettys bay for the penguins , but it still sounds like quite a long drive each way.

If we do take a chance, are there any other suggested places to visit on the way?

Any timely advice appreciated!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

HI there

I would suggest that you make your trip to Gansbaai or De Kelders and rather overnight there. Enjoy your trip by starting by visiting the penguins at Betty's Bay and then make your way to Hermanus. Spend some time there, maybe lunch and then make your way to De Kelders or Gansbaai. By doing Shark Cage Diving you might be lucky by seeing whales as well and even dolphins. So, to turn this event into a overnight, if you are not lucky by seeing whales on the Shark Dive trip, you can still book a boat trip as well for whale watching.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

The drive from Gordon's Bay around the peninsula is indeed beautiful. And the penguins at Betty's Bay might be yours alone. I've been there twice and no one else was there either time. Since I live part of the year in De Kelders, I cretainly agree with Hank, that staying a night there is worth it, for whalewatching. I haven't checked with friends lately, but as recently as 3 weeks ago, they were saying whales seem a little late.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly investigate travelling on to the other end of Walker Bay and check out our options from there.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Dolphins are not that common in Walker Bay, I should have added. They tend to come in numbers when the pilchards (little fish) are running. But days pass when we see none at all.

8. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 21:35
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Sharky

I see that you have made a total of five posts in the Trip Advisor forums. Every one of these is a advertising post for White Shark Projects. You have never in three years ever posted about any other company, activity or place in South Africa to help posters. Your profile/travel map shows that the only place marked is Gansbaai and your posting name also seems to indicate an involvement with the Shark Diving Industry.

If you are directly associated with White Shark Projects all of these posts are self-advertising and are strictly against Trip Advisor Forum rules - which you accept when you post. Is there any reason that your posts should not be reported for removal?

In my experience, both as a customer and advising on here, is that there is very little difference between all of the eight licensed operators out of Gansbaai/Kleinbaai. Every one of them gets about equal numbers of recommendations (and complaints) on here. They all provide virtually the same activity programme and charge very similar prices.

That raises an interesting point. Do White Shark Projects currently hold an operating licence for Shark Cage Diving with commercial customers? My understanding was that their licence renewal application was not successful in the 2010 round of licensing and their permit was taken away. Maybe they get round this by selling their activity as a “conservation” or “volunteer” project.

See - iol.co.za/news/south-africa/permit-shock-roc…

and - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k4…

Edited: 03 July 2011, 17:02
Florence
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale/Dolphin watching

Hello

If we were in Cape Town on 30 and 31 July, how likely would we be to see whales. It is very important to us.

Thank you