We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Toilets

Are there public toilets around cape town or can you go in and use restaurant/bar toilets or is this frowned upon. Thanks

Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilets

There are public toilets at most tourist spots, such as Table Mtn cableway, Signal Hill parking lot, Jubilee square in Simons Town, the castle, etc. Also in all shopping centers, petrol stations, information offices, public beach access.

As in most places, use of toilets in businesses is generally meant for customers of those establishments.

South Africa is a very tourist-friendly country, so I don't think you would encounter a problem if asking to use the facilities in most places. I've never had a problem finding a toilet on my trips there.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,068 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilets

Hi paulinen

Don't worry!

When we came to live in South Africa from the UK (born across the river from you!) one of the things that most impressed us was the general availablity and cleanliness of the toilets! Never difficult to find. As featherwings says at all visitor facilities but also in all shopping centres and public areas. Even in a fairly minor shopping area you will find toilets, cleaned every hour, nearly always with soap and paper replenished, clean towels or working dryers - and VERY rarely any graffiti. Amazingly, often with marble floors and Italian designer fittings!

Then when you are out in the bush, seemingly miles from anywhere in a National Park you will come across a public loo. Maybe not with Italian fittings and more basic, but clean and serviced facilities.

One small difference from the UK. In a shopping centre with a number of restaurants and coffee bars, the individual places will often not have their own loos, directing you to the nearest public one in the centre never more than a few metres away. In small towns you may need to get a key. In the UK these would be broken, dirty and graffiti covered. Here they are better than the restaurant would provide!

Oh and BTW public loos are invariably free!

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilets

Thanks I take it you are from Liverpool - so is my husband.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilets

Paulinen - the restaurants generally do not like you using their toilets. In fact one restaurant that we go to at least twice a week in winter for their winter specials and maybe 1 in 2 weeks in summer - Bayside in Camps Bay- were not too charmed when i asked them the other day if i could use their loo in the middle of the day. I was rather annoyed at their attitude because of the fact that I am a regular customer and the person that reluctantly said ok was the manager. Shopping malls, tourist places all have public toilets and you dont need to pay 10 quid!.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilets

I think perhaps those restauranteurs have good memories...lol

6. Re: Toilets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 05:19