We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Knysna to Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Kolkata (Calcutta...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Knysna to Cape Town

hello!

We are a group of 3 couples planning on driving from Knysna to Cape Town in May 2011. We have to do this journey in 1 day because we have already booked our hotels and these cannot be changed now.

What I would like to know is that would it be better if

1) we took the N2 with detour to Cape Agulhas on the way to Cape Town

OR

2) we take the R62 with a short stop in Oudtshoorn to Cape Town

Are both these routes safe to drive at night ?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Mayank

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Knysna to Cape Town

I would not bother with the detour to Cape Agulhas.

The R62 route is more dramatically spectacular and the road has much less traffic.

It is safe to drive at night, but if you leave at a reasonable time in the morning you should complete the journey in daylight.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Knysna to Cape Town

thanks macsym, it looks as if only one of us will have to do most of the driving, so which is the easier route to drive?

Also, is it better to self drive to do the cape of good hope, boulders beach etc tour or take a tour. Again one person will have to do most of the driving.

Cheers,

mkajaria

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Knysna to Cape Town

I guess the N2 is 'easier', but the R62 is much more interesting and there is more variety and in some ways less tiring for the driver. Both roads are in very good condition.

I would always opt for self drive as it gives you much greater flexibility. It would also be cheaper! Driving around the Cape Peninsular is not difficult or stressful even if just one driver.

4. Re: Driving from Knysna to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 07:20