We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
scotland
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

HI

In october we will be driving from cape town to plettenberg bay - which I know will be over 5 hours in the car. Any recommendations where to stop and break up the journey?

thanks

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

Hi there

You have 2 choices to do that. The one route that you can take will be on the R62 from Cape Town. You can cut the journey in half to overnight in maybe in Calitzdorp or even Oudtshoorn. The other route will be on the N2 highway from Cape Town and overnight in either Swellendam, Heidelberg or Albertinia. These towns are relatively small but will give you good accommodation for 1night. Have a look at www.accommodation-direct.com for further details into these towns.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

Hi

Hank suggests places to overnight, but if I understand, you are looking for places to visit on the journey. I would say it is more than a 5 hour journey and with a couple of stops, probably nearer 8. I have done Knysna to Cape Town and it took all day, with a shopping stop at George and a break at one of the Aloe Vera factories at Albertina. Well worth stopping at if you are driving along the N2.

However, as Hank suggests, the more scenic and pleasant driving is to be found on the inland R62 route

It has a website of its own too www.route62.co.za

You would go from the Garden Route via Oudtshoorn (worth a stop, as the Ostrich capital of the world - alledgely!!), then there's Catitzdorp - also worth a stop and famous for its ports. Further along is Barrydale - a quaint village and also worth a stop and a good place to stop for lunch. Then Montagu - slightly larger town, then Robertson (good wines to taste here, fields of horses and lots of roses in season......finally Cape Town.

So as Hank suggests, a stop over on this route is worthwhile. I would choose Calitzdorp, Barrydale or Montagu.

However if you decide to press on to Cape Town, you will not become bored by the scenery or things to entice you out of the car.

The alternative N2 route is much busier, and I find the drive from Mossel Bay to Swellenbdam extremely tedious and not very interesting.

Lisa

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

We stayed in De Opstal in Oudtshoorn, great place to stay. I would also recommend "ostrich Safari" - who provide a great tour and chance to ride an Ostrich, once you are under the weight restriction. If your staying in Oudtshoorn, expect Ostrich on the menu too, not for me, so If you staying in De Opstal, let them know in advance so the can prepare something else for dinner. See me review of de Opstal here in TA. Have a fab holiday!

scotland
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

Accommodation already booked so won't have a chance to change the route or add nights else where. Shame!! 6 nights in cape town followed by 2 in plettenberg before we go on safari for 4.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,723 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

I can suggest a place for lunch that is terrific. And you would not expect it. Garden Route Game Lodge, just east of Albertinia. http://www.grgamelodge.co.za/restaurant/

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 09 July 2011, 14:43
6. Re: Cape town to Plettenberg Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 19:17