We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

My wife and I are having our honeymoon in Cape Town, Garden Route, and the Eastern Cape during the first week of August. We plan on doing many outdoor activities (Table Mountain, touring the Peninsula, Shark diving, etc.) and are ending the trip at a game reserve. We are concerned about the weather reports since it looks like rain and chilly temperatures. Can any locals or recent visitors offer some advice on what to pack? Are the weather reports accurate? Should we only thick winter clothing and jackets?

Thanks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

Haven't looked ahead at the first week of August, but parts of last week was fantastic weather (sunny and warm) while this weekend will be freezing cold, with rain, wind and snow on the mountains. Pack mostly winter clothing, I would say. Wear them in layers so you can strip off layers if the day warms up. With a bit of luck, the eastern cape might give you more pleasant weather, but it is still winter so quite possible to have cold, windy weather.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

Can not predick so far ahead, but for the last week we had very good weather. My in-laws has just spend a week in Port Elizabeth, and they say the weather was excellent. Hot during the day but a bit chilly at night. So i would say prepare yourself a little bit for both. Things can take quite a quick turn in the Cape, with very unpredictable weather.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours and Safari's.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 12:16
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

Hi,

Weather in Cape Town has been exceptional (between 15 and 24 deg. C) for the past 10 days. Today we have a high of 20 deg. and low of 11 deg. We do not know what it will be first week in August. Recommend you pack medium weight clothes with one warm jacket.

The climate here is mediterranean (no extremes) and temperature in Knysna (Garden Route) today ia 16.9 deg. C.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

It has been wonderful in Cape Town whilst I have been away this month , and hopefully it will be nice upon my return next month.

In reality August can be cold and blustery and if anything the wintry weather is impacting us later in the year (Aug/Sep) than in previous years.

BUT we could be wrong, so take something for cold, warm and

wet and you should be ok!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

As an added note: it will be very cold on early morning and late afternoon/evening drives in the Game Reserve. The wind factor makes these

freezing so bring warm gloves, caps and scarves.

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

As mentioned, it is impossible to predict. We were told to prepare for cold weather and they had incredible heat for late July (21 celcius). Being from South Korea, you will laugh when people call 15 Celsius cold. By your standards, it will be very warm. The typical min-max in Cape Town for that time of year is 7-18 Celsius. We found layers, windbreakers, and a mixture of shorts/pants worked perfect.

For Safari bring a hat and gloves. When it gets dark, the wind in a jeep is bothersome. A windbreaker worked great as well for the safari.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

Looks like a change is in store.. news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Cold-front-may-b…

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
297 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

The weather has become wintery over the last couple of days (I guess it is winter!) and we are having loads of rain, high winds and snow expected on high ground. That said, a week ago it was like summer so it may well be fine when you are here.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

Layers, layers, layers!

Cape weather has that ability to go from one extreme to the next - days can be very warm and early morning and evening can be freezing, especially if the wind gets up. A good wind and water proof coat is essential.

That said, August/September can also be lovely, it just depends and it's impossible to judge so far into the future. Come prepared for all four seasons, troublesome to pack but essential for that time of year.

Have a great trip,

Sarah Nelson

http://rentalsincapetown.com/

10. Re: Current weather in Cape Town & Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 16:17