We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location, Location, Location......

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Location, Location, Location......

We'll be heading to Cape Town next May for the first 4 nights of our honeymoon. I'm a little confused what area would be best for us, I liked the look of the Black Heath Lodge but can find very little information about this area? We'll want to see the main sites which I don't think will be a problem regardless of where we stay but would like to be in an area that allows us plenty of good dining options within walking distance if possible (and safe to walk at night too).

I'm finding that car hire isn't too expensive so I'm considering just getting a car to get us from the airport on our arrival as it's either that or take time picking a hire car up on our 5th day.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Hi Benji,

there are loads of threads on the forum detailing best areas to stay with good dining in walking distance, so I would suggest checking those out for detailed suggestions. In short, my suggestions would be Camps Bay or the waterfront for more upmarket venues, or Long Street if you like more local/cultural options.

Also, of course, Franschoek or Stellenbosch are wonderful options for Honeymoons.

All the best,

Sarah Nelson

http://rentalsincapetown.com/

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Hi there Benjii

There are so many place in the City that you can stay at and choose from. From a very central point the first one that comes to mind is De Waterkant. Very close to the City Centre, shopping centres, restaurants and some pubs. www.villageandlife.com , www.africaneliteproperties.co.za , they will give you plenty of B&B or self catering options. Further more you have Sea Point, Green Point and also Camps Bay. In Camps Bay have a look at, www.campsbayresort.com for accommodation. In Sea Point, www.villacostarose.co.za , and also have a look at this sites for more info, www.capetown-direct.com , www.safarinow.com . Enjoy planning your trip.

Hank - Ulungele Tours and Safari's.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Thanks,

We have several guide books to hand in addition to the web and on a bit of info over load! We'll be heading on to Franschoek for 2 nights after CT. Decided on Franschoek for the location but will have a car to explore too.

Will investigate all those suggestions now!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Hi

Black Heath Lodge is in a pretty central area and it sounds like you will have a car, so you can move around Cape town pretty easily. Most of the main tourist sites are spread out.. It also gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor. Taxis are really cheap in Cape Town, so just get your accommodation to phone one for you in the evening. The restaurant will phone one for your return. I have been to Cape Town several times and the last couple of times, I have stayed in de Waterkant. This is somewhere you can definitely walk around at night, but unfortunately the restaurnats aren't that good. Some good places for a pre dinner drink though.

I would actually get a taxi to most places at night in Cape Town, but I would happily walk round most of the city during the day.

Lisa

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Thanks lisasplaces,

We've been looking at the V&A Waterfront, Camps bays and other areas today. V&A seeems more expensive. I guess we're more used to going places where we can wander around at night, if we can't do that so much in Cape Town I suppose it doesn't matter so much where we stay within reason.

Are there any areas which are fine to walk around at night?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Hi

Yes the Waterfront is fine to walk around at night and as said before, so is the Waterkant. As you have found out the Waterfront is erxpensive for accommodation. Also the Waterfont has lots of restaurants, but most are not the best examples of good dining in Cape Town. Most of the good restaurants are in the actual city centre. I would save your walking for during the day and just get a taxi to your chosen restaurants at night. Camp's Bay, along the main street is probably ok to walk out at night, but I wouldn't walk back to your accommodation. Also IMO Camps Bay is short on good restaurants. One of the highlights of Cape Town is eating very good food, at much less than you would in the UK

Lisa

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Hi Benjii

This question of where is the “best” area to stay in Cape Town comes up often on here. There is obviously no single answer - otherwise everyone would end up in the same place! One person's “perfect location” is the same place that another can't stand!

Asking individual posters to rank “best” to “worst” of popular areas of the city is pointless. Every person will come up with different rankings depending on personal preferences - or prejudices! A few weeks ago, just as an exercise, I tried to look at this from a different (statistical) perspective and I post the information here again.

The only generalised list that can have any meaning at all needs to be based on hundreds or thousands of opinions – not 2 or 3.

So where do you get these opinions? Well we are all sitting right on them! TA has by far the biggest database in the world of individual reviews of accommodation options. All from people who have actually stayed there. As TA headline, over 45,000,000 reviews and opinions of places all over the world. TA themselves continually slice and chop this database to extract lists and rankings. Of course it is up to the members to decide whether these ranking lists have any deep meaning or not! TA, of course, do not make the extracted data available to individuals. It is a hugely valuable resource and makes them millions. However any individual can go to the raw data and extract it to provide additional information. All you need is a spreadsheet and a bit of time.

So maybe the “Location, location, location” question does have an answer – of sorts!

In the Cape Town metropole (whole area including suburbs) there are 734 individual establishments listed under the Hotel/Guesthouse and B&B categories. There are also 477 apartment/villa/cottage rentals and a further 179 “Speciality Lodgings” making a total of 1,390 different places across all the regions of the city. For a quick review however I left these other categories out. So the 734 separate establishments in Cape Town have maybe a total of 30,000 individual reviews – definitely not two or three!

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1722390-Cape_Town_W…

So how to get information on what these 30,000 different real visitors, from all over the world, consider to be the “best” areas?

Well TA already have a sophisticated system to rank individual establishments. This includes both the star numbers given by reviewers as well as the number of reviews – it also now weights reviews by latest date and by number of reviews from each reviewer. So an easy things to do was to dump TA’s 40 highest ranking establishments (top 20 Hotels and top 20 B&Bs) into a spreadsheet together with their ratings. Then to group these by area to come up with the most popular (best?) areas where people like to stay. In these Top 40 places there were 6,198 separate reviews. The Top 40 scored an average of higher than 90 percent 5star reviews (that’s one reason why Cape Town scores as the current Number One Destination in the World on TA!). Many of the very top ranked places scored 97/98 percent 5Star rating. Some individual places have over 600 separate reviews! Places are given stars based on both the quality of the establishment and the Location.

So there are 14 different areas that come up in the top 40. I arbitrarily ranked these first by number of Top 40 establishments in each area and then by the total 5 Star reviews (like Olympic Medal Lists!). Of course it could be done differently – but this only took me an hour to do the whole thing!

So for what it’s worth here are the best areas where people like to stay in Cape Town. Ranked 1-14.

1. Tamboerskloof 6 places 1,502 x 5 Star Reviews

2. Oranjezicht 6 places 771 x 5 Star Reviews

3. Camps Bay 4 places 508 x 5 Star Reviews

4. Hout Bay 4 places 481 x 5 Star Reviews

5. Sea Point 3 places 602 x 5 Star Reviews

6. City Centre 3 places 402 x 5 Star Reviews

7. Green Point 3 places 326 x 5 Star Reviews

8. Waterfront 2 places 411 x 5 Star Reviews

9. Constantia 2 places 154 x 5 Star Reviews

10. Bantry Bay 2 places 83 x 5 Star Reviews

11. Somerset West 2 places 61 x 5 Star Reviews

12. Gardens 1 place 176 x 5 Star Reviews

13. St James 1 place 114 x 5 Star Reviews

14. Claremont 1 place 33 x 5 Star Reviews

So. It seems, by far the “best” areas to stay, based on thousands of reviews, are the adjacent areas of Tamboerskloof and Oranjezicht - the top part of the City Bowl on the front flank of Table Mountain. Not only did they provide 12 places in the Top 40 but all the Top 3 places in both the Hotel and B&B categories!

Some interesting observations about what people actually do and like - compared to what other people think. Surprisingly neither of these areas have been mentioned at all by other posters here yet!

It actually doesn't surprise me that Tamboerskloof/Oranjezicht are by far the most popular area to stay. Close to the city but separate. A mixture of bustling Kloof Street and quiet leafy byways. Lots of good restaurants nearby including some of Cape Town's best. Above all with those stunning views of the mountain everywhere. Lots of places all over the world have "sea views" (some wonderful ones in Cumbria!) but there is only one Table Mountain - unique and right in the city! I think that sometimes locals who have lived with it all of their lives take it for granted. Even after living here nearly 10 years, I still say "Wow!" every time I see it! Staying right underneath the face of this iconic mountain gives this area something unique in the whole world.

Interesting – but as the classic BBC statistical interpreter, Peter Snow, would say - "Just a bit of Fun!"

Edited: 01 August 2011, 21:51
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Makes very interesting reading, VDC - and actually nowhere is a bad place to stay in Cape Town!!! Plus if you have a car, it is so easy to get around and visit all these places. I remember ob my first visit to Cape Town, the lady that looked after the apartment said how lucky she was to have a view of Table Mountain from her office and the day she couldn't see it (ie - forgot it was there!) would be a sad one.....I always feel quite emotional when I land at Cape Town and have my first glimpse of that mountain from the plane.

I have also never stayed in a bad 4 or 5 star guest house in South Africa....

Lisa

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Van_de_Caab thanks for your indepth analysis of the various areas in Cape Town! We've got plenty of time to decide now that our flights are in place to work out what we think will be best for us. We had considered trying 2 different locations but the unpacking, packing and moving around doesn't seem worth it with the time we'd lose.

How far is Cape Point to drive from Cape Town time wise? It seems like it might be a good idea drive down to Cape Point on our last morning in Cape Town before heading up to Franschoek?

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location, Location, Location......

Benji you have had a lot of responses re accommodation. Blackheath Lodge is in Sea Point. The area is good, its safe to walk around in during the day and not too late at night. Its on the bus road and easy to walk on the Sea point Beachfront.

Youmentioned getting a car only to get you from the airport - or did I read that wrong. I wouldnt do that. Get a shuttle /to take you to the hotel and hire the car afterwards.

Cape Point is a lonnngggg drive away and it will take most of the day getting there and back and looking around. Rather rushed if its only a morning - total opposite direction to Franschoek.