We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mefloquine - Adverse Side Effects

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
355 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Mefloquine - Adverse Side Effects

I just read several posts on here about the side affects of taking Mefloquine to help prevent contracting malaria.

I am leaving for my trip on a Wednesday morning and need to take one tablet per week. I will most likely take the first one on the Sunday or Monday before my trip. (I won't be in a Malaria area until the following week).

Do the side effects last for days or is it just the day you take the pill?

I am a bit concerned and wondering now if I should call my doctor and ask to switch the prescription to Malarone. I don't want my trip to be ruined on account of unpleasant side effects of this medicine.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Mefloquine - Adverse Side Effects

"All it takes is one bite" and you can get malaria. True.

"All it takes is one course of Mefloquine and you can have psychiatric depressive illness which lasts a lifetime".

Both are extremely unlikely but visiting Kruger in the winter, when malaria cases are significantly reduced the second is probably more likely.

This is why, as SF says, the advice from the South African Department of Health is to consider carefully taking chemo-prophylaxis when the risk is higher from the drugs than from malaria.

Malaria from P.falciparum is serious but is cured in 99.5 percent of cases and does not like other strains of malaria, reappear later.

A single person saying they don't get side effects is like a single person who didn't take drugs saying they didn't get malaria. Millions who visit Kruger don't take drugs and don't get malaria!

Edited: 17 September 2011, 00:55
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mefloquine - Adverse Side Effects

Talk to your doc.

We are not doctors and have no clue as to your medical history.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Mefloquine - Adverse Side Effects

Regardless that many (locals) do not take meds, as a one-time visitor best to do as recommended.

When a doc recommends Lariam, they should inquire about your healh history and if any family member (regardless how far removed) has known psychological problems, past/present... they shouldn't be going the Lariam route.

Besides, should you contract the disease, unlike if you lived in Africa, it might take while for a doc in NJ to diagnose/treat properly.

Know also, that if you've been to Africa and taken malaria meds... you cannot be a blood donor for minimum 1/yr upon return home.

Discuss with your doc.

14. Re: Mefloquine - Adverse Side Effects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:16