We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town and game parks

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
cape town and game parks

I am coming to cape town in Janiary and would like to visit a safari park can any suggest anything in the cape town area

Cape Xtreme
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town and game parks

There aren't really any good game reserves in the Cape area. There are one or two game parks, Aquila, Inverdoon, Fairy Glen which are more on the lines of glorified Longleat or Windsor Safari Park. You will see very limited numbers of animals, some, like the lions are in a controlled area so not really wild in the true sense. Nearest game reserves are in the Eastern Cape like Shamwari or better still Kruger National Park and the private game reserves around that area.

Depends really what your expectations are, Do you just want to see a few animals or do you want to see real wild animals living naturally and in the case of the predators, hunting for their food.

Again it will depend on your budget and time available.

Of course there are the penguin colonies at Boulder Beach near Simonstown and another one at Stoney Point./Bettys Bay where of course you will see them living there natural life.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town and game parks

Hi there

The best Game Reserve close to Cape Town and the only one that i can recommend is Aquila Private Game Reserve. 2 hours from the City and very good with there service. The Game Drive will cost R1950.00 per person or for self drive it will be R1250.00p.p. Worth the while to do if you have the time only to do it in Cape Town. If you have the time to do something better you can travel to the Eastern Cape to maybe Pumba Private Game Reserve and also much bigger with more animals.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town and game parks

If you want a 'real' wildlife experience then the only game reserve I would recommend close to Cape Town is Sanbona. It is about three hours drive. It is howerver not cheap abd the density of game is lower than the reserves close to Kruger and in the Eastern Cape but it is a wonderful place and I had some great sightings when I was there.

Mark September

Small World Tours

4. Re: cape town and game parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 02:20