We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

What is decent amount of time to spend at Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve?

On one hand, I would like to spend as much time exploring Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve and not be constrained by a tour schedule, but on the other hand, I am a bit leery about a car hire, as I've never driven on the opposite side of the road than I'm used to.

I am looking for either encouragement re: car hire and driving myself, or recommendations for a tour operator that will allow me to maximize my time at Cape of Good Hope.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

It can be a bit stressful driving on the opposite side of the road if you are not used to it but a lot of people do it and I think most people are fine. Generally people only encounter problems when turning into a street where you have to keep reminding yourself which side to turn onto or at roundabouts.

I would not recommend doing a scheduled tour with other people as they follow a set itinerary and you will have a limited time at The Cape of Good Hope.

If you have the budget though, I would recommend doing a private tour with a good guide and there are many recommendations for guides on this forum.

My personal recommendations would be either Donavan Mehl donmehl@gmail.com or Craig Barrowman craigab@telkomsa.net

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

Hello,

I agree with above. The roads to Cape Point are generally quiet. If you are a relatively experienced driver you should be absolutely fine. Inside the Cape of Good Hope you might want to take some time to take photos of the animals. On a recent visit I encountered zebra and eland for the first time (they were recently introduced). Other regular sightings include baboons and tortoise. You can drive straight to "The Sign" or drive up to funicular, go to the Lighthouse, have some coffee, walk down to the sign and back up. Advantage of an organised tour (or good guide) is that while you walk down, the driver makes sure he will meet you at The Sign where everybody wants to be photographed.

So I'd advise to make a day of it and visit some other towns on route. When you come from the False Bay side maybe Simon's Town or the colourful beach huts at St James. On the other side the Slangkop at Kommetjie is quite a nice stop. But there are many, more.

If you have time, trivel further (much further, about 3,5 hours drive one way) to Cape Agulhas and see the 'real' southern tip of Africa, where the two oceans meet. It is much less touristy and the lighthouse is well worth visiting/climbing.

But I am drifting off... :)

Kindest regards,

Ronald Kennedy

ZippingZebra

malaysia
Level Contributor
161 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

Having a hired car makes your schedule much more flexible and the roads in the Cape Peninsula are good with (usually) light traffic. I only recall one traffic jam at Kalk Bay due to roadworks on our last trip to the Cape Peninsula. Driving on the opposite side is not a problem unless you are fatigued (from jet lag or late nights) as all you have to remember is that the driver is nearest the line dividing the middle of the road at all times. This is especially important when exiting pump (gas) stations, or T junctions or entering roundabouts.

If your budget allows, then a private tour might be better as you can concentrate on the view instead of keeping your eyes on the road!

4. Re: Getting to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:16