We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking a hotel/area

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
in CT
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Picking a hotel/area

I am trying to decide on a hotel in CT - two I am looking at are: Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel and Upper East Side Hotel. I know that I am comparing apples to oranges, but here is what I am looking for: cleanliness, convenience (we will be doing a few typical CT day trips - staying for 6 nights), and safety. Both hotels seem to have it, have great reviews and are reasonably priced (UES also includes breakfast), but I am unsure which area would be better for us (couple, mid-30s). Note that we wouldn't be staying in the room much and will have a car.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel
Atlantic Affair Boutique...
312 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking a hotel/area

I'd go for the first one as it looks to be in Sea Point near the sea whereas the second is in Salt River not such a touristy place.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking a hotel/area

Hi Nat77,

The UES is a stylish new hotel but agree with Braaiseason that Woodstock/Salt River is perhaps not the best tourist spot. It is quite close to the Castle and the Old Biscuit Mill on Saturday's mornings is quite nice.

Since you have a car you could also opt for a more quiet area outside the City.

Whatever you choose, I am confident you will have a great time here!

Cheers,

Ronald

ZippingZebra

Mentioned in this post
Old Biscuit Mill
Old Biscuit Mill
1,487 Reviews
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking a hotel/area

Hi there

You have received info about the 2 hotels that you are heading for and i have to agree with them about the Hotels. I would rather suggest something else for accommodation, The Victoria & Alfred Hotel, Commodore Hotel, Portswood Hotel, Dock House of which all of them are in the Waterfront. Moving out of the Waterfront, then you have the La Splendida Hotel in Mouille Point. For more info about Hotels, have a look at www.safarinow.com and also www.capetown-direct.com . Hope you will find something and will be very comfortable with it too.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Mentioned in this post
The PortsWood
The PortsWood
823 Reviews
Dock House Boutique Hotel
Dock House Boutique Hotel
214 Reviews
La Splendida
La Splendida
227 Reviews
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking a hotel/area

The Atlantic Affair Hotel is a lovely boutique hotel in the middle of Sea Point. I have been to look at the accommodation and it is superb. You are on the bus route (if you would like it) and the hotel is situated between Main and Kloof Roads. You are one road away from the Beach road and promenade and in line with the public swimming pool too (although I think there is a pool in the grounds.) Dont know why Hank is suggesting other accommodation as there is really nothing wrong with this hotel. Definitely would suggest it as opposed to Upper East Side which i thought was in New York lol!

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel
Atlantic Affair Boutique...
312 Reviews
5. Re: Picking a hotel/area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 November 2011, 14:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking a hotel/area

I agree with Hank2011 - V & A Waterfront hotels - we stayed at the Commodore - that area is worth the extra money as you are right in the action with plenty of restaurants, shops and peoplewatching close at hand. Not sure of your price range, but we negotiated with the Commodore - we needed a triple which they didn't have, but they gave us 2 rooms at a discounted price.

Edited: 28 November 2011, 10:57
Mentioned in this post
The Commodore
The Commodore
1,437 Reviews
7. Re: Picking a hotel/area

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2013, 23:05
8. Re: Picking a hotel/area

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:16