We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

We are staying in Cape Town in May 2012 for 3 nights. Because its only a short stay we would like to stay someone nice with views. Have been looking at Camp Hill Beach area but I am told it can be quite windy there. We have looked at a few places on the hill with spectacular views but if its windy this time of the year is it worth spending the money or go elsewhere where we wont be blown away!

Also can anyone suggest a itinerary for the 3 days - I know we wont see everything but what are the must sees/do while we are there. Do you suggest we hire a car so we can see the winerys etc?

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

Must visit: Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, drive along Chapmans Peak, penguins at Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Hout Bay (Mariners Wharf for good seafood), visit St Georges Cathedral. There are good wineries closer to Cape Town such as Klein Constantia, Uitsig, Buitenverwagting. Uitsig also has great eating places, the main restaurant or the River Cafe. Visit the District Six Museum for some history of forced removals due to apartheid laws.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

Almost forgot Robben Island is a must do.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 01:48
Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

Must visit: Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, drive along Chapmans Peak, penguins at Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Hout Bay (Mariners Wharf for good seafood), visit St Georges Cathedral. There are good wineries closer to Cape Town such as Klein Constantia, Uitsig, Buitenverwagting. Uitsig also has great eating places, the main restaurant or the River Cafe. Visit the District Six Museum for some history of forced removals due to apartheid laws.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

I would say the no 1 must do is Table mountain on a nice day especially if you like views. With regards to seeing penguins as the OP is from Australia - maybe he/she has seen them at Philip Island and Boulder Beach could be a let down especially as recent reports say that there are few penguins there anyway - more at Betty's Bay apparently if you do want to see them.

I recommend a day trip or maybe a night (first or last) to the winelands Franschhoek is my favourite - the scenery is stunning - much nicer than the Hunter Valley (sorry) that I know very well.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

The weather in May will be inclement. Hot sunny days interspersed with colder rainy ones so bring layers of clothing. No need for Artic type clothing and if you do have the need you can always buy something local.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

I found it cold swimming at Camps bay in late 20s of April, so would guess May is a degree or so colder.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

May is heading into winter however we often still get very nice days - I would definitely bring some warm clothing just in case though. Camps Bay does get very windy in summer, however by May the wind won't be so much of a problem so I would still recommend staying there. Alternatively look at staying in town - Tamboerskloof is lovely.

8. Re: 3 days in Cape Town- what to do??Weather in Cape Town May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 10:31