We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Hi everyone. I am planning my first trip to Capetown. I will be travelling with Gate 1, but would like to contract with a local tour guide or service for one day, separate from Gate 1 itinerary. I am very interested in whale watching and visiting Boulders and Betty Bay. Could you recommend an excellent tour guide/company that would also provide pickup and return to and from my hotel in Capetown?

Thanks for your suggestions...

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Whales are quite seasonal and best seen a couple of hours drive east of Cape Town. But everything else can be handled very well by Mark September of Small World Tours - http://www.smallworldtours.co.za/

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

You can also contact Peter at PGTops (www.pgtops.com). He handles all of my guiding work in Cape Town.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Thanks for your suggestions. From what I've read, Hermanus is the prime location to whale watch. As I will be going alone, I would like to go on a tour from Cape Town or hire a guide to go with me, with pickup and return to my hotel. I've been reading about Ivanhoe Sea Safaris. Is it possible to hire a guide to take me to Hermanus and them go on the boat whale watching, and then the rest of the day do something else, such as visit the penguin colonies or go on a township tour? I didn't know if timewise this would be possible.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Thanks to Bushkid above, I took a tour with Pieter that included Hermanus, Betty's Bay and a township tour. Very doable and a very good guide.

Camps Bay, South...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

We use Ferriers tours for all of our guest requirements be they airport transfers or day / overnighter tours. The drivers are never late and always smartly dressed. The vehicles are impeccable and their pricing structure is excellent. Owner. Owen M. Finnan. 00 27 21 633 2640. Mobile 00 27 83 477 8504

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Hi there

Whales are very seasonal and are on our shores from round about August until November. You can do a tour like that from Cape Town and Ivanhoe Sea Safari's are really good with their boat trips. I used them quite often and also recommend them. They are based in Gansbaai, which is a 2hour drive from the City but worth every penny.

Seeing that you will be traveling alone to Cape Town, i would rather suggest that you book your tour to Cape Point, Cape of Good Hope and the Penguins with a company that does this tours on a schedule basis. If you would do this tour on your own, you will be paying more than average but in the meantime can also conduct your tour on your own pace.

Also let the accommodation place that you will be staying at help you find a company that they can suggest and that will make you also feel more secure because it was recommended by them.

Best Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours

Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions! I will be visiting next September, and am so excited. As far as I've read, it sounds as if that will be a good time to go whale watching, is that correct?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Thank you again for all your kind assistance. I apologize for asking about whale watching in Sept., as you had already stated that was a great time. Is it possible to do the Ivanhoe whale watching tour plus a tour to Cape Point and Boulders Bay in one day?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

Thank you for your recommendation, Zebracruiser. Did you visit Hermanus, the penguins and a township in one day? Also, did you go on the Ivanhoe boat tour in Hermanus?

Edited: 18 December 2011, 13:44
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Guide/Company Offering Hotel Pickup

The founder of Ivanhoe Sea Safaris - Capt. Rudy Hughes - is my oldest friend in the Gansbaai area. He's retired, but the crew operating the business now do a great job showing travelers the whales. September is a prime time for seeing them, but the boat sails in the morning - and you would need to plan to leave Cape Town by maybe 730AM. It would be a long day if you did that, then returned to go down the east side of the Cape Peninsula with a stop at Boulders Beach, continuing on to the Cape of Good Hope. Possible, but you need to know up front that it would be an expensive day by the time you pay for the Guide and vehicle and boat trip.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central