We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is kruger park really expensive?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is kruger park really expensive?

I love wildlife but I've been informed that kruger park for three days will cost me 3000 pounds which is a lot of money and its abit far from Cape town. So are there any other options to see animals in the wild and are closer to Cape town.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

KNP will definitely cost you MUCH less than that. Accommodation in one of the Sanpark Camps will be max R1,300.00 (round 100 pound) for 2 people per night (incl. cons fee), add cost for food, car hire, petrol etc when selfdriving or app R200.00 for Sanpark game drives in an open vehicle.

What you were told was possibly the cost of one of the Luxury Lodges inside the private reserves.

You of course need to add the cost for an internal flight from CT to e.g. Nelspruit.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,519 posts
5,696 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

There are cheaper safari parks in Africa but only two that compete with Kruger in terms or quality and quantity of wildlife sightings and overall safari experience. These are the Maasai Mara (Kenya) and Serengeti (Tanzania) National Parks and these are both significantly more expensive when it comes to, like-for-like safari experiences. Thus, not only in terms of quality experience, I suggest with confidence that Kruger offers some of the best value-for-money safari options in Africa.

We have had a very good experience with Gomo Gomo Game Lodge last year and will be visiting them again this coming Summer for a longer stay. This is a more pricey option but not 3000 GBP for 3 days, it is within a private reserve called Klasserie, attached to Greater Kruger National Park.

Here is a review we submitted for Gomo Gomo last year (w/pictures)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g471860-d471…

There are also some much cheaper options as well as self-drive safari options within KNP that are way south of 3000 GBP for 3 days. I'd spend some time researching on these basis and see what spurs your interest.

Best of luck with your Kruger research, one of our very favorite places in the world.

Dhahran, Saudi...
Level Contributor
79 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

Kruger is an awesome value for the money. If you stay in a Sanpark lodge, it is very reasonable. Of course the private lodges in and around the park can be costly. We bought groceries on the outside and cooked for ourselves and saved a bunch. For private game lodges in the Kruger area we used Elephant Plains which was a great value and fabulous experience. Drive yourself in Kruger and spend a week. You'll never regret the experience. We're headed back for our third trip in November.

4. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2012, 22:05
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

Have done both Kruger...self drive...loved it, was great value. Also KwaZulu natal...also great. Am booked in for elephant plains in august. There are some great value guest houses, just outside Kruger, flights are reasonable. Do it!!

It will cost as little or as much as you wish!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

For a self drive trip, 3000 GB Pounds should cover about three weeks using SANParks facilities, a fairly standard rent a car, and doing mostly self catering. I just booked our trip for October that will visit Kruger, Kgalagadi, and two other parks, and that came out around 6000 USD, not counting airfare. If traveling solo, or for only a few days, you do not gain much by self catering, but for a longer trip with a family it saves you quite a bit.

The park rest camps average around 900 Rand or so per night, but there are cheaper and more expensive options. Meals are hard tobudget for, but 500 Rand should cover it. Car and gas will take up a good chunk of change, and there are park fees as well. Two hundred GB Pounds per day, not counting the cost of getting to the park, should more than cover you.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

I found carhire3000 to be best value....and they were very helpful when I needed a replacement because a rock pierced the oil tank!

It depends if you are travelling alone...a flight from cape town to jburg is good value and then a drive from there to Kruger.

Give a bit more info....my trips ave all focussed on taking pics of wildlife as cheaply but as safely as possible!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

If you go to www.sanparks.org.za you will get an idea of the Kruger Park rates - nowhere close to 1000 pounds per night! These are self-catering units , but by far the best way to see the Kruger is self-drive and self catering. We have been to most National Parks throughout East and Southern Africa , and nothing beats the atmosphere of the Kruger , and sitting around your own camp fire at night.

9. Re: Is kruger park really expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:41