We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south african tour companies

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Monroe, New Jersey
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
south african tour companies

Capensis and others

am also looking for a tour company. am travelling on own from NYC/NJ in December. would be very interested in your views of Collette, smartours and gate 1. They're similar with different twists and gate 1 goes to the falls as part of the trip and seems to spend more time in Johannesburg which may not be the greatest for solo female. would appreciate your advice!

thanks

CT
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south african tour companies

I went on SmarTours South African trip with the Vic Falls extension in 2010. We had a great time and the price was good. Only thing I didn't like was our guide who never stopped talking about the book he was writing. Others liked him, though. I know they have a few guides for that trip. Anyway, personally, spending more time in Jo-burg wouldn't be a selling point. The safaris and Cape Town are the highlights and Vic Falls, if you do the extension, which I highly recommend, including Chobe. I went in July so the weather was beautiful but not a great time for the winelands, not that particularly interested me. I loved Hhluluwe (sorry for the spelling but it's close). Saw lions at Kruger, which made our day. Well-run trip, nice hotels and lots of variety.

Monroe, New Jersey
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south african tour companies

thanks so much for the information. I think that I'll end up with smarttours as I mentioned in December or early January when it's still summer- seems like good value for money-although the extension price leaves one breathless if you're going solo.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south african tour companies

I have recently returned from South Africa where I visited my 85 year old mother who lives in Kleinmond.We went on a tour with LESCHA COUNTRY TOURS.I was constantly amazed at how much effort Les and Schalk had gone to before the trip and during it to make sure that we were both happy comfortable and getting what we wanted out of the tour.They planned a 5 day tour on our brief,I had said that I did not want to see any animals in cages as I could do that in Melbourne ,I wanted to able to take lots of photos,go to Cango caves and see the Meerkats.My mom had also said by the by I have a dream to drive up the Swartberg pass .They organised all of this for us and always with a smile and lots of information on the way on animals, birds, african culture,South African history ,in fact if you asked they answered or said we will look it up and come back to you.We saw lots of places that we would never have known about if not for them.In short I highly recommend them and would tour with them again myself if ever I have another opportunity.

Monroe, New Jersey
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south african tour companies

that's a lovely recommendation - thank you

Am glad you had a good time.

MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: south african tour companies

The Smartour I am looking at for Jan has a single supplemet of $250. Is that the same one you are looking at?

MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: south african tour companies

Hi there,

Am thinking of doing the Smartours South Africa/Joburg/Kruger trip as solo female - did you go alone and if so how was it? Did you do the extension to Victoria Falls? You're right, as a solo, the price is outrageous! I realize this is an old post, hope you respond!

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: south african tour companies

Sunway Safaris also offer trips that would a solo traveller, they offer tours all around South AFrica including Botswana, Victoria Falls and Mocambique with different length of trip.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

8. Re: south african tour companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 May 2013, 13:27
9. Re: south african tour companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:18