We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

hi there - I have been researching the winelands as a venue for my wedding next February. Every day my list gets bigger and bigger - there are so many options! I have 30 guests flying to SA for the event and ideally I would like us all to stay close by to each other so we can meet up for lunch after the wedding etc. The venue must have fantastic views, food and wine - ideally on a wine farm. Anybody been to any great weddings on a wine farm? Anybody been to DeKraal?

thank you!

Ireland
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

hi there. im getting married this november on a beautiful farm called morgenhof. you can search on www.morgenhof.com, try to e-mail shelly for more info. had lunch there last november when i searched for a venue and the food was absolutely devine! great wine too. i'm always weary when it comes to websites as some pics look fantastic and then it turns out it's not...can guarantee that this farm is really pretty. about 5min outside stellenbosch on the r44. let me know if there's any more info you need and i'll reply as soon as i can. good luck!

South Africa
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Hi Foodmad

Congratulations on the wedding!

I have to agree with the previous writer. Morgenhof is definately a fantastic choice. In fact my wife and I were married there 3 years ago and would not hesitate to recommend not only the venue but the service and food (try the duck). Its set amongst the vineyards so lots of good photo opportunities too.

We has a small wedding of 40-50 people - maybe similar in size to yours? What was great is that they have 2 chapels on the property, so no need to travel to the reception. My wife fell in love with the Perdekraal Chapel (horse stable) venue which is a white washed cobbled floor - very intimate and not too formal. For soemthing more formal they have a bigger venue also.

If you're coming from overseas it will be less stressful to use a venue that can arrange everything for you rather than having outside catering, bar service etc.

It can be quite hot in February. I would consider an earky-evening or late afternoon service and an early dinner as this way will be cooler the tour groups will all have left.

If you are not happy with Morgenhof, you can also try in the winelands:

- Zewenwacht

- Lanzerac (5 Star in Stellenbosch)

Hope this helps.

Roger

p.s. I'm off to Cork for the first time in May. Seems like Ireland is just as beautiful as Cape Town.

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Thanks you so much for getting back to me - it's great to get a firsthand opinion. Are you also familiar with http://www.lacouronnehotel.co.za/

It looks like it may be a little formal?

South Africa
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Hi

Yes. I've stayed at LaCouronne in Franschoek. It's a small boutique hotel above the winelands valley. Can't fault the place - very luxurious and will have good views. And yes it is a bit more formal, although not in a bad way. I'd still prefer Morgenhof. Not sure of what you've been quoted, but LaCouronne will probably be a fair bit more expensive for a fairly similar standard.

The advantage of LaCouronne is that Franschoek in the valley below has a wide range of accommodation for guests close by.

Regards

Boet01

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Yeah - I thought it would be a bit stuffy alright. Ideally I was hoping for a venue in Franschhoek so that all my guests can stay close by. If you know if anywhere there that has good views and great food let me knwo. And uf you looking for some travel tips fro Ireland let me know!

abk
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Beware - La Cournoone has just had a big fire and a large area was ruined!

another lovely place for a wedding is the vineyard called Vrede en Lust

which is about 15 mins from the centre of Francshoek. Fantastic views and a stunning setting. Another place towares Paarl is Seidelberg, high views all the way to Table Mountain.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Boschendal, Devon Valley,Rhebokskloof, Neethlingshof, Spier, Lanzerac, Nederburg - a search on each of these individually will bring up info. They all do weddings.

www.capestay.co.za/cape-town-weddings.asp

www.cape-venues.co.za/rhebokskloof_estate.htm

A search for Cape Wine Route, Stellenbosch Wine Route, Paarl Wine Route, Franschoek Wine Route will bring up just about ALL the wineries on their route and following the links to the wineries will enable you to find out whether they host weddings.

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Hi Foodmad,

Congratulations on the forth coming wedding. I also am getting married in South Africa in November and went on a 4 day trip with my mum in January to look at various locations. We're using an amazing lady called Christina at Wedding Concepts as co-ordinator and she arranged us to view a number of the estates.

The estate we decided on without a shadow of a doubt was Vrede en Lust (www.vnl.co.za). It is completely stuunning with the most amazing views across the vineyards and mountains. It has a luxury Manor House which you use for accommodation as well a couple of beautiful cottages. You can take the whole estate over for a couple of days if you wish. They have a plaza which is a little like a long tiled barn but with one side missing and this is where you can have your guests for the dinner. The views again are incredible. The organiser at Vrede en Lust is very helpful, her name is Anna. If you would like any more info about this estate let me know and I can tell you lots more!

We also went to view Klein Genot - stunning guest house but where the reception would have to be, you don't get really to see the views. We also saw Allee Blue - pretty courtyard but found the buildings where the ceremony would take place, weren't as well kept as VNL. Then we went to see Palmiet Valley Estate. This is a stunning estate - every Cape Dutch building is immaculate and we would definitely have chosen here if VNL wasn't available. We decided on VNL however as it was a little more contemporary.

I also have photos of each place which I can email you if you like - so you'll know that none of photos have been tampered with!

Good luck with your search!

N

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

Hi foodmad, congratulations on you forthcoming wedding. I would second the choices of Vrede en Lust and Morgenhof. I've been singing at weddings (with a partner) for quite a while, so get to see lots of the wine estates as they are popular wedding choices. I've loved both of these venues. As another lister also suggested Spier, this is lovely and very classy but also quite commercial as there is a an auditorium there as well where they put on shows. The advantage of Spier is that there is a lot of accomodation available right there.

When my son got married a few years ago, we also had a number of people staying for the weekend as they came from far away. He got married on the beach though, which i wouldn't recommend, it was lovely, but our weather is not really trustworthy enough.

Let us know what you decide.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Venue!! I Need help!

I know it's not the winelands but don't forget about a Kirstenbosh Gardens wedding.