We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
418 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

Opinions please? I am concerned at Ellerman one is really far from everything, but we very much the finer luxury it seems to offer.

I have heard some very good things about the Dock House - would that offer the right "combo" solution? Money is not really an object, but certainly would not want to over pay.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

Hi there

Dock House is really great and fantastic and very close to the Waterfront and a very luxury Hotel. So is the Cape Grace Hotel as well, a little bit further from the Waterfront but really good and classic. Another place that you can also have a look at is the Waterfront Luxury Hotel.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

If this helps in your decision, the Ellerman House is filled with the finest of South African art in the country. Absolutely beautiful! The Cape Grace is the best at the Waterfront.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

I'm using Dock House for guests often these days.. www.newmarkhotels.com/hotels/dock-house/ - If you insert your dates in their Book Now system, the rates for your dates will come up and you will see what they (and all the Newmark hotels) do.. they offer a Best Available Rate and it fluctuates based on seasons, and on how much space is available for dates. 20% discount off even that rate for stays of 3 nights or more. This is the practice also for the V&A hotel and the newish Queen Victoria next door to Dock House. Great locations, all of them.

As is the Cape Grace location, and they offer a 4-for-3 for dates when occupancy is a little low. For a luxury 'base' in Cape Town, these would be the hotels I recommend, and use as frequently as possible.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 03 July 2012, 01:37
Jasper, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

The three hotels are each different and have pros and cons. The ellerman house is by far the most luxurious with amazing art work and personal service, nothing beats the views from Ellerman House. In the waterfront the Cape Grace is my favorite hotel, great personal service, I love their breakfast - but it is more of a hotel and less of a personal touch than you get at Ellerman House. But if you want to be able to walk to the waterfron attractions it is convenient. The Dock house is lovely - right in the middle of the waterfront area and just a few rooms so it has that more personal touch. As this is a sister hotel with the V&A and the Queen Victoria you have access to all their facilities as well. But I must say I prefer the Cape Grace in the Waterfront to the Dock House,but given the choice I would always choose Elelrman House.

5. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 July 2012, 13:05
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

Ellermann House is excellent. It is also where Opera Winfrey stayed or still does when she comes to South Africa. I have not been there for a long time but if i had to base my answer on my experiences then, i would say it's an "ïcy cold, rich in gold" kind of place.

The Dock house on the other hand is in a very central position and the staff and the hospitality is fantastic. All my guests that have stayed there absolutely loved the place.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

I have never stayed at Dock House so cannot comment.

Ellerman House is small but deluxe - you suggest it is far away from everything but if you have a car then that is not a problem - driving around Cape Town is comparatively easy compared to many European cities - if you do not have a car then taxi's are available and again compared to Europe are cheap

The Cape Grace is a wonderful hotel - deservedly 5 star and if you really want to be at the heart of the Waterfront area then it's a good choice.

There are are other upmarket choices in Cape Town. My personal favourite is The Mount Nelson - not everyone's cup of tea - too large for some but I actually rather like the anonymity of that. Don't be put off by the "colonial" facade - it is a very modern hotel with excellent staff and, at long last, a very good restaurant

travel agent, San...
Level Contributor
2 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

I stayed at Ellerman. LOVED it.. It is only about a 5min ride from VA waterfront etc. They have a car that will take you if its available. I am staying again this year.. Never had any issue with taxi's or their car.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

Out of the 3...id recommend either Cape Grace or Ellerman House.

Bear in mind the Cape Grace is a large hotel, whereas Ellerman House is more of a Boutique-styled property....Cape Grace is in the hustle/bustle of a working harbour, whereas Ellerman is in an affluent suburb.

I spent my honeymoon here and you honestly feel like you are in your home (i wish!). They insist you walk around in your slippers (and robe if you like).

For dinner, there wasnt anything that appealed to us on the menu, so we chatted to the chef, and he wipped up exactly what we felt like...and even served it on our room!

The rates include airport transfers and some very luxurious snacks and beverages in your room.

If you can afford it, Ellerman House is just superb.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ellerman house, dock house or cape grace

Hi there

You should consider looking into The Queen Victoria Hotel in the Waterfront.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours