We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

Hi

We are wondering how much time is needed to travel from stellenbosch/Franschhoek to Knysna. We currently have 2 nights and are not sure where to stop? We were thinking of maybe cutting this down and allowing ourselves just one night for this part of our trip?

Where would people recommend the best place to stop is and is it worth stretching this route over 2 nights.

A few people have suggested Outdshoorn, however it seems a bit out of the way and will be extremely hot in Feb when we are visiting.

Also, we are yet to decide on whether to stay in Stellenbosch or Franschloek so would also appreciate opinions on this?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

From Franschoek to the Garden Route (Knysna), you have 2 options, either the N2 highway or along the Route 62 which will take you to Oudtshoorn. It is indeed worth while to have an overnight in this Town despite the fact that it gets very hot in summer. But if you do not want to do that, then you can also make use of the N2 highway and have an overnight maybe in Riversdale, Swellendam, or even Albertinia. Small little Towns with loads of history. Or you can easily drive the hole stretch without having an overnight and it will take you about 4hours to reach Knysna, but not stops included. With stops, you might maybe add another hour.

Hank Daries - Ulungele Tours

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

Thanks - what is so worthwhile about Outdshoorn?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

The Meerkat Adventure just outside Oudtshoorn was one of the highlights of our trip. A visit to Safari Ostrich farm is interesting. Cango caves are great also. There is some nice architecture to be seen and the surrounding semi desert is wonderful. We had a great lunch at Buffelsdrift, you may be able to see the Hippos in the dam or take an elephant ride. All in all a nice place to stay for a night or 2.

It took us 5 hours to drive from Franschoek to Outd. stopping for lunch at montagu (see the Ibis birds) and a coffee stop at Rinnies Sex Shop. The route is too beautiful to whizz through.

We had a lovely stay at Yotclub, Oudtshoor. The owner will also organise the Meerkat Advanture also.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

Exactly that is the thing that will be of interest when visiting Oudtshoorn.

Hank Daries - Ulungele Tours

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

I just planned out my itinerary for a trip in January. Will be coming the reverse way and decided to overnight in Swellendam. At this point have not decided if I will head inland to Oudtshoorn and drive part of Route 62 or stick with the N2? But Swellendam seemed right in the middle and let's me leave my options open.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

I just planned out my itinerary for a trip in January. Will be coming the reverse way and decided to overnight in Swellendam. At this point have not decided if I will head inland to Oudtshoorn and drive part of Route 62 or stick with the N2? But Swellendam seemed right in the middle and let's me leave my options open.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

Both Stellenbosch and Franschhoek are lovely towns with plenty to see and do. They are within easy driving distance of each other.

We have stayed in both and it's hard to say which one we preferred. It all depends on what you are planning on doing while you are there as to which one would be better for you.

Port Talbot
Level Contributor
119 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

I have done both directions in the last 2 years.Route 62 is by far the better option.The mountain roads are very quiet to drive while the coastal route reminds me of wacky races,fast,fast fast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

Both Stellenbosch and Franschhoek are lovely towns in the winelands, with different appeals.

Stellenbosch today is more of a university town, so it has a young crowd with lots happening in the town. Exploring the centre of Stellenbosch allows you to see some of the history of the town and "Oom Samie se Winkel" - a replica old fashioned store that sells anything and everything.

Franschhoek is scenically beautiful and is renowned as being the culinary capital of South Africa. So saying it has a huge amount of truly gourmet restaurants in the town. It is also home to some of the best wine estates in South Africa

Well worth a visit are:

Haute Cabriere – Home of Pierre Jourdan

La Motte

Graham Beck

But any wine estate in the area will give you a wine good tasting

If you have time, Fairview in Paarl is well worth a visit as they do good quality wine, and also home-made goats cheeses.

The trip from Cape Town to Knysna should take you about 4 hours if you drive straight there without stops, but I would recommend that you take your time and stop - a lot- enroute.

Route 62 is always a good way to travel as it takes you though Robertson & Montagu ( a continuation of the Wine Route) - these areas have some excellent, but less well known wines estates to explore - and into the Klein Karoo to Oudtshoorn.

If you take Route 62 I would recommend that you carry on into Oudtshoorn and stay the night here. There is plenty to see and do, and it offers you an insight into a charming Karoo town. This town is famous for its Ostriches and the Cango Caves.

Places to stay include:

* De Opstal Country Lodge

* Mooiplaas Guest House (meaning Pretty Farm) - it is family run and a

working Ostrich Farm - so it is a bit different.

However, there are many accommodation choices in Oudtshoorn.

It will be hot in February.

If you take the N2 - which is the most direct route and therefore busier, I would recommend stopping at Swellendam. This is a quaint town filled with history.

Places to stay here include:

Rothman Manor - rated excellent on Trip Advisor - it is a Old Country House decorated to a modern standard

Personally my preferred route is R62 as this route shows of a totally different side to South Africa and is well worth exploring.

Which ever way you go - have fun!

Simone

African Sands

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stellenbosch/ Franschhoek to Knysna!!!

David B,

If I read your post correctly you will driving from the Garden Route to Cape Town. Assuming this is correct then driving the R62 after staying over in Swellendam will take you away from Cape Town.

Hence if you come from the Garden Route then drive to Oudshoorn, via George, and then the R62. When you get to Ashton you can decide to take the detour down to Swellendam and onwards, or drive the more direct route to Cape Town via Worcester.