We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

We have one night in Hermanus and one night in Plettenburg Bay November 23rd and 24th. Which visit should we do a whale watching by boat tour? It looks like Ocean Blue Adventures leaves from Plettenburg Bay and would include whale watching, seals, and possibly dolphins. Can anyone recommend this tour or another?

We will have our 10 year son with us and we want to find the best experiences for him along the garden route. Additional suggestions are welcomed. We will be at Botlierskop for two nights after that weekend.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

We did a boat tour out of Plett many years ago so can't remember the company. It was in September and we did see whales, seals and a huge pod of common dolphins.

I've never been out on a boat at Hermanus although I've had some excellent land based whale watching around Walker Bay.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

I imagine either is excellent, although your dates may be a little late for prime whalewatching. I was in Hermanus that time of year before and saw nothing. I was also in both places last August. Unfortunately, we still saw nothing in Hermanus and the boat trips were cancelled due to weather, as was our first attempt in Plet Bay. We returned to Plet Bay a day later and were finally able to get out with Ocean Blue. It was spectacular. We had excellent sitings of whales, dolphins and birds and we stayed over the allotted time to take full advantage. One fun difference with their boats is that they are launched directly from the beach; the landing while you aim full speed at the beach is quite an adventure.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

Here in Hermanus we currently have excellent land & boat based whale sightings. By 23rd Nov we should still have whales but the season would start to come to end. I suggest when you arrive in hermanus you check out situation. If there are still good whales and the weather and sea is good, go for it because if you don't and opt for Plet you might get there with unfavorable weather & sea and maybe no good whales.( If you snooze you loose). Hermanus does not have dolphins to the extent of Plet imo.

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

So it seems the best bet is get there and see what the conditions are and grab a boat if they are good. Should we check with our hotel for who to go with or do you have tour operators and contact numbers. It seems Ocean Blue is a good resource for Plet. but we don't have a resource for Hermanus. We wouldn't mind going out more than once.

Hamburg
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

I suggest you drive to Gansbaai (30 min. from Hermanus) and do a whalewatching tour with "IVANHOE" located in the harbour.

Firstly this bay is much more quiet than Hermanus, then much less crowded than Hermanus and finally it was a great tour, whales were just besides and underneath our boat. I am not sure whether the boats leaving from Hermanus

are allowed to approach the whales that closely.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

There are 5 only boat licenses for whale watching. One in Gansbaai about 50km from Hermanus and three in Hermanus( the last one also out of Gansbaai area(Kleinbaai). Two of Hermanus operators r: www.southernrightcharters.co.za and www.whalewatchers.biz. There are also guided walking tours along the magnificent paved cliff top path- about 2/3hours along stretches of the path that runs for some 10km-to coves and inlets where the whales frolic. Due to the vertical nature of the cliffs the whales are literally only a few metres away at times. Exellent photo opportunities. The Plet experience is different as they launch off the beach through the surf. It is more high speed/adrenaline.

Oh, you can also kayak in the bay in Hermanus or take a Cessna flight over the bay for aerial birds eye view when you circle over the pods of whales

7. Re: Whale watching, seals, dolphins by boat - Hermanus or Plet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:17