We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

I'm travelling in February with my adult daughter and we want a 2 bedroom self catering apartment with great sea views - I've found so many that I'm not spoilt for choice and need help!

We already know that we don't want to be in Cape Town itself and first looked at Camp's Bay and Clifton which does look amazing. However then I found Fish Hoek and some fantastic options there and can't choose between the two places.

Is Fish Hoek as safe as the Atlantic coast? I guess it's quieter and I'm a bit concerned because all the apartments talk about burglar alarms and armed response!!

I guess that Fish Hoek is smaller and quieter (which is fine with us) but does it still get lots of tourists ?- we like to blend in a bit!

If we want to travel out into the winelands and over towards Hermanus (with a car), would it be easier from Camps or from Fish Hoek?

Can anyone help with advice between the two places?

Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

Camps bay is a very "In" place so it's more expensive than other places, to get things in perspective we paid 525 rand for a lovely double room with breakfast down the road in Houts bay and paid 575 rand per person in Camps bay so more than double the price and restaurants are also more expensive but it's also a very beautiful location and we loved it there, Fish Hoek is smaller with less restaurant options but is closer to the winelands, I don't think you should be concerned about safety all over south africa you'll see burglar alarms etc. also in Camps Bay, I personally would stay in Camps Bay.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

As Chrella has correctly written Camps Bay is is the "In" place of Cape Town. Fish Hoek is much quieter and you need to know that it is very popular amongst local families. In Fish Hoek you won't find too many tourists.

Whether you travel from Fish Hoek or Camps Bay to the Winelands and to Hermanus doesn't really make a difference, maybe 5 minutes or so.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

Hi Eliza,

If you want to be near the City and Waterfront then Camps Bay would be your best bet. There is a lovely beach, lots of shops and restaurants and you are close to Table Mountain and can take the Hop on Hop Off Bus. The sunsets are gorgeous and the area is safe.

Fish Hoek, on the other hand, is quite a distance from the City; there are restaurants in the vicinity but you would have to travel to Kalk Bay or Simonstown to find the better ones. There is a nice beach and you could take the train in to town but the trip takes quite long.

Travelling to either Hermanus or the Winelands can be done easily from either Camps Bay or Fish Hoek.

In my opinion you should try and find a self-catering apartment on the Atlantic Seaboard (Mouille Point, Three Anchor Bay, Sea Point, Bantry Bay, Clifton,

Camps Bay) where you would be close to the main tourist sites and the Waterfront and then visit Fish Hoek en route to Kalk Bay (lovely fishing village), Simonstown and Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve.

However, a two-bedroom self-catering apartment will be more expensive on the Atlantic Seaboard than in Fish Hoek.

Have a look at www.sa-venues.com but be sure to check reviews.

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
168 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

Hi Eliza,

My husband and I stayed in Fish Hoek for a month last November and we loved it. True, it's not nearly as lively as Camps Bay and it's a little further out but it's much easier to get from Fish Hoek to Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Kalk Bay, and Simon's Town. It was easy to get into Cape Town using the train or a car and driver - we actually used Hank Daries who posts here a lot as Hank2011. The beach there was beautiful and the shark spotters do a great job. We really did love Fish Hoek - it was safe. We became regulars at a couple of coffee shops there and were very well treated by locals. You can pm me if you'd like to know more about our experience there.

Christine

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

Fish Hoek, I lived here for 2 years, it's a great place with fantastic views, the town looks a bit dreary but don't let that put you off. I stayed in Clovelly, it's very safe only one road in & out & a police station right at the bottom. The sea is slightly warmer on this side.

It's Brian Blessed's home for a very good reason ;0)

Jim-Coventry-UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

Hello Eliza805

I have sent you a private message with a suggestion for Hout Bay.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

We stayed in Fish Hoek for a week at the begining of February last year. We didn't see any other tourists, it is a place were the locals of every creed get on with there daily life. Visually It put us in mind of a small english town in the 1950s ot 60s.

We stayed in a fabulous apartment overlooking the beach, we watched all the comings and going on the beach - Early morning dog walkers, evening school children canoe racing and at the weekends the beach is thronged with families, the shark spotter is in operation and occasionaly the siren goes and eveyone leaves the sea.

This is all so different from Camps Bay and only you can choose which you would prefer.

The only other things I would mention is that it can be windy at this time of year and we found that we couldn't sit on our balcony some times at it was too cold and also as there were road works in Kalk bay at the time it would take about 40 minutes to get into Cape Town. Alcohol cannot be bought in supermarkets in Fish Hoek but is available in restaurants, however there is a large Pick and Pay about 10 minutes drive inland.

If you require any further info send me a P.M.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

My recommendation is Camps Bay. Fish Hoek is fine if you want to stay in Fish Hoek, but you must not confuse Fish Hoek as being a suburb of Cape Town and a place to base yourself – it is just too far from the city and in my opinion somewhat depressing with the gale force winds that blow through the summer. Rather base yourself in Camps Bay or one of the city suburbs to really make the most of your stay in the Mother City.

9. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 13:31
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camps Bay or Fish Hoek - where to stay?

I agree with what tourist guide has said. I wouldnt go to Fish Hoek.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central