We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

We have booked flights for this trip Oct 21st for 15 nights. This is our proposed itinerary, I would be grateful for any comments or advice.

2 nights Addo National park

1 night Storms Valley area

2 nights Knysna

2 nights Oudtshoorn

2 nights Stellenbosch

5 nights Cape Town

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

It looks good to me but you could just book your hire car and decide when you're there, we were there this year in October and were glad we didn't have our trip set in stone as the weather wasn't too good so we had to keep changing our original itinerary. We didn't have a problem booking guest houses we just went to the tourist info in each place and they gave us names of the ones with vacancies.

A good website for booking your hire car is Carhire 3000 we paid £18 per day all inclusive for a medium sized car.

www.carhire3000.com

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

Sounds close to perfect to me!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

Thanks very much for your replies.

Chrella did you find that the guest houses were nice and good value for money? And any particular highlights from your trip? Also, was your car hire a round trip or pick up and drop of in different locations?

Jenni x

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

Thanks very much for your replies.

Chrella did you find that the guest houses were nice and good value for money? And any particular highlights from your trip? Also, was your car hire a round trip or pick up and drop of in different locations?

Jenni x

Edited: 26 November 2012, 21:07
5. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 13:30
South Africa
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

It sounds good. I love the Storms River area. Be sure to try out the tree canopy tour. In Knysna, go on a boat ride to the Heads (don't make the mistake of drinking alcohol on it, if you get sea sick).

An option is to stop at Wilderness or Victoria Bay, both are stunning.

If you like golf, Fancourt is a must (near George).

From Oudtshoorn to Stellenbosch you'll need to make a hard choice - do you return to the coastal road or drive via Barrydale. If you go via Barrydale I recommend stopping at Warmwaterbergspa (which has rustic hot water spring baths) and Montagu to enjoy their hot water spring (and a fantastic walk up into the caves above it).

If you go back the coastal route (which I would tend to suggest, as you're travelling in October, when the southern right whales visit these shores), I would stop at Mossel Bay - best tidal pool I've ever been in is next to The Point Hotel. And most importantly for this route, don't stay on the N2 - it's far more interesting to take the coastal route. You can get an idea from this map (it's not from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town), but does cover the coastal stretch I mean from Mossel Bay to Cape Town. southafrica.to/transport/overland/South-Afri…

You can then also see the southern most point in Africa (Cape Aghulas), and there's the possibility of stopping at Gansbaai to go shark cage diving. Also, October is when the southern right whales visit the shores of South Africa, so perhaps a stop in Hermanus to view them.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 07:44
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

We picked the car up in Downtown capetown and dropped it off at the aiport in Cape town but if you put in your dates and where your picking the car up and where you're dropping it off it will give you the total price with drop off charge, you can see the price before you book the car the only thing is that you don't know who the supplier is until you've completed the bookings but they only use the big companies such as Hertz, Avis etc.

Guest houses in south africa are absolutely fabulous, we always get somewhere with a private entrance. In Capetown we only booked the first 2 nights accomodation at the Radisson Park Inn and on the way back stayed at a guesthouse in Camps Bay, the prices were usually between 525 rand and 800 rand although we did pay 900 rand for our last 2 nights in Camps Bay at the 30 fiskal Road guest house which was absolutely stunning. If you click on my profile you'll see the reviews I did for the guest houses that we stayed at.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

Picking up a car in one location and dropping it off at another is no problem, it just costs extra.

There a number of supeb places to stay in South Africa and I like this website as you find a lovely selection in all categories and the portfolio collection only offers quality accommodation. http://www.portfoliocollection.com/.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

Thanks for all your comments, plenty food for thought.

We were planning going to Hermanus from Cape Town for a day trip to hopefully see the whales, do you think this would be enough time there?

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
970 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town-Proposed itinerary

Hi

We always book b&B's before leaving the uk so we get the 1st choice &know the route we want to take.

Carhire3000 are a good agent to use for car hire. We have just paid the balance for the car on the next trip - picking up Xmas Day from Capetown.

This will be the 4 th time of using them& never had any problems.

We just get a small car - only 2 adults but always get full insurance included. They use all the big company's.

Driving is very easy.