We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tip for those going to Franschoek

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
A tip for those going to Franschoek

A friend of mine just put this on facebook and thought I would like to share it "There is nothing I love more than sharing new discoveries in this wonderful country we live in. Yesterday ... I discovered the newly launched 'Franschhoek wine tram'. Working on a 'Hop on, Hop off' basis and including 6 stops in total, 5 of which are at some of the best wine estates around, not to mention a welcome glass of bubbly (Pierre Jordaan from Haute Cabriere no less!) and two wine tastings - you will not find better value for a day out at only R130 per person. One gets 40 minutes at each stop which is just enough time to taste some wine and take in the breath taking scenery that is simply 'the norm' in this part of the world. Best of all ... each of the 5 wine estates included offer lunch with varying menus and prices ... so you quite simply book ahead at your favourite one and stay for an extra 40 minutes! www.winetram.co.za"

Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
PG Tops Travel and Tours - Day Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Earthstompers Adventures
Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Thanks Diva. We might try that tomorrow (our last full day in CT)

Joyce

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Sounds like a very good idea and one worth trying! Thanks.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

It's been running for about 3 months & is generating a lot of business at such a good value price.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Hi joyceyorks,

I saw your original post on where to stay at an affordalble cost covering the Xmas period. have

I hope you will write a review of how you whiled away your 7 week stay and found the affordable accommodation. We are thinking of a similar stay next year.

Did you hire a car for the whole period?

Did you self cater for some of the time?

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Hi Gem. I have already posted about our first two weeks here, but we have been very lazy and haven't done an awful lot. Staying in the same place for 7 weeks means it feels much like we are living here and we have stayed fairly local. However, I will put a further trip report on when we get back. We have stayed at Ascot Gardens all the time but eaten out at least every other day. Some of the local restaurants are really good value as is shopping at local supermarkets. We have had a car for the whole 7 weeks but some days we haven't used it. However the flexibility it offers means it is worthwhile. The area is really quiet and safe and we have walked back and forth in the evenings for meals. Not really looking forward to returning on Tuesday to poor weather but nothing lasts forever. Zero tollerance for drink driving has curtailed our wine estate trips a bit. Christmas and New Year are a bit too busy for sightseeing so we stayed in our accommodation for most of the time, but had meals with other people staying here. PM me if you want more info.

Joyce

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Thanks for the info, well done Franschoek I think this is a great idea.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

thanks Joyce, looking forward to your observations.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Any advice on going to the Houtskappersport area in South Africa would be appreciated. We have been a couple of times a few years ago but obviously so much will have changed - restaurants etc.

Many thanks. Rosemary

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

@rosemary-please post your question as a totally separate one as it really has nothing to do with my post. This way you should get answers.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A tip for those going to Franschoek

Hi Diva, excellent recommendation. I have seen the Tram a couple of times and also recommended some of my guests to try it and they loved it. Good value for money.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central
Recent Conversations