We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
West Orange, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

If you are looking for a Safari experience, you will not get it a Fairy Glen so called Big 5. I feel sorry for the business and caged animals. However. I feel more sorry for unknowing people, like my husband and I, that are tricked into paying Safari prices for a Zoo!

Please save your money

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

I agree with you on the pricing its fairly high for a reserve of this size.......and no leopards. However, if you are in SA for only a short period of time with a busy schedule like I had, and don't have time to spend a week in kruger park or some where similar then this little "Safari" is ideal. I took photos on my phone that you couldn`t get in kruger with an SLR camera with a 2 foot lense on the front.

So my point is for good photographing opportunities and for those who do have time to spend a week in the bush at Kruger or similar, this is ideal to see the animals in 1 day. It is basically a big zoo.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

I think it is unfair to expect a "true" safari experience similar to other places in the country when going to these smaller reserves. It is a good alternative to the real thing if you don't have time to visit other parts of the country. Fairy Glen clearly states on their website that animals like the rhino is kept separate. I think the importance of research also come into play. Safari's in the Western Cape is regularly discussed on this forum.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

I couldn`t agree more with you Miki. If you are limited with time and want good photos, there`s nothing wrong with Fairy Glen for a day out apart from the price which they should probably lower. All n all I was happy with my experience.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

LOL! I'm running with Tawanda on this one.

If your objective is to get good photos to prove to your friends that you were on "safari", then it's quite ok to go visit caged animals to support the impression you'd like to make on your friends???? The fact that these animals are caged for life is totally irrelevant so one can get an hour's of entertainment and "bragging rights"???? I think we should do the same with children ... then we'd be applying common principles.

Of course, having a tight schedule and insufficient budget to go on a "real" safari excuses the fact that we support such enterprises.

I also feel sorry for the business and the caged animals, but I also feel more sorry for the people who visit them.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

I couldn't agree more Bushkid and I highly doubt that any meaningful research takes place at these establishments.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

I agree with Bushkid and there have certainly been other posts along similar lines.

There are no Big 5 in this area anymore, so clearly it not what you would call a ‘natural’ safari for want of a better word, and certainly the same goes for anywhere that has to separate animals, if this was the real thing there would only be perimeter fences as in genuine reserves.

From what I have read the lions are on less than 3 hectares and get hand fed, yes this is equivalent to being caged, lions have huge territories.

And apparently nobody sees the leopard because it’s nocturnal, well the best leopard sightings I have had, and there have been many, have all been in broad daylight.

Anyway it’s the same old story really, there are those who support these type of places when they visit and those who do not, why travel across the world to the country that has some of the most spectacular wildlife in the world, then see it all in a zoo. Sorry but yes separated caged animals = zoo.

Len what a shame you could not get the photos you wanted in Kruger, I must be lucky to have hundreds taken of big 5 [the real thing] within meters of the car, I do hope you liked Kruger anyway and enjoyed the unequalled bush experience, despite not getting any good photos on your phone.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

Bushkid0 you make it sound like these animals are in 8 by 8 cells.... They`ve a fair few hectares to be roaming around....granted its not the Serengeti.... If you want to feel sorry for caged animals look up Doha zoo (Qatar) on TA....NOW THOSE ARE CAGED ANIMALS.....its sickening.....50deg C heat, humidity in the high 70s/80s for 5 months a year and they are in very very small cages......not fit for a jack Russell let alone 2 lions.....

Anyway as for the "bragging rights" comment.....I like taking photos for myself...while in SA for 13 days I took over 4000 photos....for me... its what I do. With so much to see and do in CT and so little time this "safari"/zoo was ideal for me. Early next year I have planned to do a real safari alright in the Kruger and looking forward to it!! Any tips for it? accommodation etc?...besides watch out for the leopards lol

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

LOL Ian! I agree fully ...

I suppose that I'm pretty spoiled that the cages I visit are sometimes around 2-million hectares, and we keep the humans in cages to protect the wildlife. But 3ha for 2 lions ... I simply can't visit a zoo these days - they don't depress me, they infuriate me.

However, talking about leopards, Sandmans ... most of my leopard sightings have also occurred in broad daylight (probably because I normally don't hang out in the bush at night). But I think "nocturnal" leopards are sometimes really "imaginary" leopards, because then one doesn't have to explain why they aren't there ... LOL!

I do agree with you, Sandmans, about travelling halfway round the world to visit a zoo when there are real wildlife experiences out there to be had.

Tryhard, I was also a bit intrigued about the "research" aspect, until I realised Miki was referring to research on the forum, not research performed by the establishment. I know this is a bit off-topic, but what really bugs me is the "research" carried out by many establishments by "volunteers" to "aid conservation" is usually thrown in the dustbin (where it belongs), because the next group of volunteers will simply repeat the exercise. It's like rehabilitation centres that haven't rehabilitated an animal in years, and wildlife rescue centres that offer neither "wild"life nor rescue.

However, to be fair, Fairy Glen and its ilk does have a place in the market. Just not mine ...

Edited: 22 August 2013, 09:15
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

Jip, I did mean research on this forum (-:. We've had so many discussions on "safaris" in the Western Cape. Bushkid, Fairy Glen also not my type of place, but I guess if there wasn't a demand these places wouldn't exist. Let's hope that these places gives first time visitors a "taste" or inkling of what a safari is and that they then return for the proper thing...then there is no going back. To some extend I think these places are good for tourism in SA, but I don't really know as I'm not in the industry, will be interesting to get your views on this?? As for lions in cages, not great but 3ha is not as bad as some places. And although it makes me sad, I must say that Lions are some of the laziest animals I've seen, hunt if they have to, eat and sleep at same spot for a week and if they have to go and find some water. So I feel even more sorry for animals like Ellies, Leopards, wild dogs who are always on the move and now stuck in a cage.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please do not go to Fairy Glen!

You are a very lucky person then Bushkid. I really cannot wait to get back to SA and do a proper safari. Ya there is a market for this kind of attraction but maybe they should reconsider the name of the business and replace with wildlife park. Its not a conventional zoo because you can get within 2m of a lion with no fence between you and it, and its certainly not a proper safari as sandman mentioned the lions are fed. I was just disappointed to see this attraction completely written off when you can have fun there because it was not researched properly. I knew exactly what to expect before we got there.....except for we didn't get to see the "illusive" / non existent leopards...but hey .....im sure ill get to see a few in kruger shortly! Bushkid ... if you get a chance.....look at a few of the reviews of this place......its desperate....this doesn't even qualify as a zoo in my books

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS