We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Marietta, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

After poring over websites and reading posts, I have narrowed down my choice of accomodations in Cape Town in March to the following. I will not have a car and am a middle aged woman traveling alone so safety definitely issue. Many places are booked but these have vacancies

Liberty Lodge 33 De Lorentz in the Tamboerskloof area

Rouge on Rose in Bo Kaap

City Lodge at waterfront

All are about $100 - $130 night US Any thoughts?

Just also wondering about getting cabs on way back to lodging - safe? anything to be aware of?

thanks

Pam

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

My advice would be City Lodge at the Waterfront - its centrally positioned.

Tamboerskloof area might be a bit quiet at night, the Bo-Kaap is a bit more vibey, with restaurants in the area.

Rikkis taxis have been around for years and that's what my friends tend to use, but I am sure that others are ok as well.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

Pam,

We travelled to SA from the UK in December 2012. Cape Town is a fabulous city - we didn't feel nervous at any point during our trip. Although we experienced the City over several days - we stayed out at Camps Bay and bought a two day ticket for the ticket for the open top tourist buses which got us around all of the attractions. Our hotel in Camps Bay was perfect (The Primi Royal) - and a gentle stroll down to the Beachfront offered some spectacular scenery and a great choice of places to eat. It was very easy to hire a car (for a couple of days) - we drove down to the Cape of Good Hope and also to Hermanus to whale watch. The hotel arranged a Wine Tour which was one of the highlights of our trip. It was so good we're planning to return later in the year.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

Hi Geordie Girl, glad to hear that the Primi is still a good hotel. We stayed there about 10 years ago on a last minute special & were absolutely delighted. Happy memories of sitting in the bar having a cold one & watching the hang gliders launching off Lion's Head. In fact it looked so good I went & tried it myself............sensational!! :-)

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

geordie girl,

did you see many whales in December?

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

Pam,

Go for City Lodge. It's located at entrance to the V&A Waterfront , safe to walk there although the hotel is likely to have a shuttle.

WK

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

It's a pretty good hike from the City Lodge to the Waterfront complex so I would hope they do have a shuttle. Liberty Lorentz is a short downhill walk to Kloof St with all its shops and cafes and might offer more in that respect. Of course, then you have to walk back uphill.. Wouldn't suggest walking there after sunset because Lorentz street has no business activity on it and it could seem a little isolated (even though it's not).

7. Re: Cape Town lodging - which of these should I choose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:19