We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Park attendant tipping

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Long Melford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Car Park attendant tipping

Can anyone advise current expected tip for car park attendants in Capetown?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

There is no standard. I usually give MIN. R2.00 for an hour. Sometimes I give more. It just depends on how I feel. For me it's a privilege to be able to support someone who is at least trying to earn a living....plus of course providing a good service.

One shouldn't really under estimate the service they provide. I've seen drivers accidentally reverse into another parked vehicle and then attempt to drive away. So I guess the presence of a car guard looking out for you is a blessing.

Long Melford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

Thank you so much. I was a bit intimidated by the 'guards' on our first trip, but now think that they are a great idea. Much cheaper than car parking in our local town. Can't wait to be back in beautiful South Africa. Thanks again.

Gill

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

Parking attendants are unofficial but they do a good job. I have driven in South Africa around 20 000km and parked a car in hundreds of places. Nobody has ever broked a window or tried to open a door.

I give R2-4 if the parking time is just 5 to 20 minutes but sometimes I have tipped even R10 if the attendant has been helpful and the parking time many hours. The only exception is that if I have not met the attendant and accepted his "offer" by raising a thumb, I generally don't tip or I give just R2.

The other place for small tips is a petrol station. If the fuel bill is R700 and I get all windows cleaned, I don't consider R10 (EUR 0,85) too much.

Mentioned in this post
Long Melford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

Thank you. Much appreciate your help. I have a large supply of coins, so should manage to keep all the car park attendants and the petrol station guys happy!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

Well they "look afther yout car"". But be real, they cannot stop criminals if they really want to steal something out of your car.

But they will help you to put groceries into the car and asist you with in and outparking.

We know that sometimes they will intimiidate you! Speial in the cape, donot let them do that do that to hou, must walk away and donot give anything.

At the petrol station those guys only get something ofmthey clean the windows too, and ar the most it has to be R 2 , 3 not more! If they do the tires, then it is R 1. Per tire!!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

I disagree, they do stop people from breaking into cars. Although they don't really put their lives in danger by trying to apprehend criminals they do alert the police and they can identify criminals to the police. They are a massive deterrent to criminals.

If you're driving a rental car, the last thing you want are scratches and dents. This can be a nightmare in South Africa with so many unlicensed drivers etc.

Mentioned in this post
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

Well they broke into our,non rental, car and stole from the booth!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

People don't fight please LoL

Ja the real reason why they don't protect your cars is because of no tipping and that is a fact,

I stay in Cape Town and i see it everyday there are a lot of people that pull up there noses for car guards, and they are also people like us.

And i tell all my guest that if you receive a service please show the guy/girl that you appreciate what he or she has done.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

Well no, why fight with a criminal and lose your life!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Park attendant tipping

We gave them a few rand, just what was in our pocket and never had any problems with scratches or thieves. I think it's good they're trying to make a living.