We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from LHR to CPT

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
California
12 posts
Save Topic
Flight from LHR to CPT

I found a decently priced fare from LHR to CPT with a stopover in JNB on Virgin Atlantic. In JNB, I would have to change planes to SAA. The stopover is 2 hours. I'm assuming I will have to go through customs in JNB. Do you think 2 hours is enough time? Or should I just book a later connecting flight from JNB to CPT on Kulula or Mango?

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
801 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

If the airline ticket you are purchasing is LHR-CPT and there are any delays then Virgin will sort out another flight for you. You could ask virgin to book you on later flight.

2 hours, however is not enough in my opinion. It took me 90 minutes last month to collect clear immigration and collect my luggage.

However, ultimately its your choice.

California
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

Thanks for the advice!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

We're flying at 17.40 TODAY direct to CPT with BA. 3 weeks away from our awful winter. YIPPEE!! :-)

Yes, you will need more than 2 hours. To make sure of a seamless flight you should book a through flight with Virgin to CPT with SAA doing the JNB-CPT leg. Virgin code share with SAA, therefore if you are seriously delayed SAA will look after you at JNB. It also means that for your return flight you will be able to check in your bags at CPT directly back to LHR. This will enable you to miss the rugger scrum at JNB trying to check in your bags there. It will cost a bit more but will be well worth it.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
801 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

Hope you have an amazing holiday and enjoy good food, great wine and loads of sunshine :)

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

Thanks madaboutwine, I'm sure that we will. It's our favourite holiday destination.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
26 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

UK airport departure tax is a good reason not to fly direct to Cape Town from Heathrow, but if you must, you must. To fly Heathrow-Johannesburg-Cape Town is even worse, because you can minimise the UK tax by flying Heathrow-Amsterdam-Cape Town. See what KLM offer.

California
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

Thanks for the advice everyone! Since my original post, I booked the nonstop flight from LHR to CPT with BA. It seemed the better way to go, given that we'll be traveling with our two children. It did cost more than the LHR-JNB-CPT route with Virgin/SAA though.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

" It did cost more than the LHR-JNB-CPT route with Virgin/SAA though."

However, it saved you a minimum 3 hours hassle & having to be confronted by the miserable JNB immigration staff. Last Friday morning we were through CPT immigration in 30 secs & had our bags 10 minutes later.

Enjoy your trip. :-)

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
801 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

CT is always a much better bet :) Enjoy your holiday

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight from LHR to CPT

Can anyone help me out with a typical Uk to Capetown flight price what you would expect to pay out of season and at peak season? I can't seem to find below £850 for end of October and that is KLM with a change at Schipol. If that is the going rate now I guess I will have to bite the bullet.