We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

I am just wondering with all the talke about "game" and "braii"..

Please let me know where should we go for dinner and lunch.

Thanks so much,

Q.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

to answer your question (headline) YES!

Most restaurants do offer vegetarian options. To name any would be a "sehr lange Liste"!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

Vegetarians are as happy in Cape Town as they are anywhere.

Klaus has given you the correct advice

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

If you enjoy spicy food then I think the Indian restaurants in Cape Town offer great (and a lot of) vegetarian options. Try Jewel of India in the Bokaap, Bukhara (which is close to Green Market Square) and Vintage India in Gardens.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

I am vegan so it's always a testing situation to go out for dinner in SA but have a look at this website for restaurants that are either vegan / vegetarian or happy to cater for them.

vegansa.com/dining-out-area-western-cape.php

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

Hi

When I first starting visiting Cape Town, I was so glad I wasn't a vegetarian. Some menus didn't even have a vegetarian option. But that was 8 years ago and things have definitely improved. You can find vegetarian options on most menus now. I nearly said all but that would be a little brave! And they are quite interesting options. But having said that, meat and fish are the mainstays of most restaurants.

Lisa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
967 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

Hi, You should definitely try La Mouette, they have 6 course Veg French Tasting menu. We loved it. For African you can try Gold - they have veg menu as well. For different experience try Addis in Cape - Ethiopian.

Any small place you go to eat, you will definitely find Tomato and Cheese Sandwich. I guess Cape Town loves tomato and cheese sandwich. I asked on several occasion please put some onions and cucumber in it also but only 1 or 2 place catered to my request.

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

Hi

I have just com back from Cape town,I am a vegetarian & ate very well.

Quiches ,Lasagne, lovely fresh salads,omellettes we ate mainly in hotels but on the V & A waterfront there was a lot of choice.

If you are a vegan then it might be more difficult

Edited: 15 April 2013, 16:45
London
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

Everywhere has veggie options! And good ones too. Kloof street knead bakery, Melissa's at the waterfront, Kauia- they are everywhere. Flatbreads at Jakes Tokai, panchos in obs, banana jam kenilworth, home in kenilworth, kitima in hour bay, royal long street, el burrio green point, col cochio Claremont, fork in long street... The list goes on....

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

Hi all

I am not a vegetarian but over the last few years I have noticed a considerable increase in vegetarian options at most restaurants. Chefs have also gotten more creative with their vegetarian dishes, I often find myself preferring a meal off the vegetarian menu.

I trust that you will have a pleasant stay and enjoy all that Cape Town has to offer :).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
628 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can a vegetarian be happy in Cape town?

My hubby and I are both vegetarian although I eat fish too. We're well travelled and the food we ate in SA was the best we've had anywhere. We're happy in bistros and love italian food but they do use sweet potatoes a lot in dishes and they're lovely, different to the usual veggie stuff in the UK.