We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Afrikaans

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
southern Germany
Level Contributor
978 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Afrikaans

I love the books of Deon Meyer and I know, that he writes in Afrikaans. We have a great translation into German - the translater leaves some of the wordes as for example "Meneer", Menvrou"

"Juffrou" in Afrikaans.

Now my question: when I go another country, I like to learn some polite word in the language of the country I am visiting. Would it be polite to use the above words and if so in which situation would I use them? Would they be used as "Sir" "Madam" or "Miss"?

Looking forward to hear from you,

thanks,Q.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Afrikaans

Absolutely right :-) . All credit to you for your courtesy.

I'm trying to remember the forms of address in our more populous languages. In seSotho it's 'Me (Mrs/Ma'am: more or less pronounced Meh) and Ntate (Mr/Sir: more or less pronounced In-dah-deh), but I can't for the life of me think what it is in the Nguni languages, isiZulu and isiXhosa: anyone?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Afrikaans

In Zulu, they use more brother or sister, Butie or Sissi.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Afrikaans

Use the more generic 'dame' pronounced as daa me (long a). Juffrou is used to address single women.

Meneer is the formal way to address a man.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Afrikaans

It would be unusual to walk around calling ladies you bestow politeness on as Mevrou and Juffrou - we would more commonly hear the word DAME (pronounced daamer) for mature or younger woman meaning "lady"

ALL African cultures understand the word "sissi" for younger females and "goggo" for mature older ladies.

Buti is also understood by all African cultures addressing younger men and Mkulu for and older man.

5. Re: Question about Afrikaans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17