We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town and Kruger

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Manchester
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town and Kruger

I'm hoping to go to Cape town next year. What i really want to do is roughly a week in Cape town (with day trips from here) and then go to Kruger for the next week.

Whats the best / cheapest way to do this? Shall i book everything individually or are there tour companies who do this and don't "waste" too much time in between?

Thanks for any help

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

We go to SA every year and I book everything individually on the internet and have had no problems. Travel Agents are a business and have to be paid one way or another, so invariably they are dearer than doing things yourself.

We normally spend time in Kruger area and Capetown area.

What I would do is book a return flight UK - Capetown. It is really a case of looking at websites to find the best deal for you. We always fly from London so don't know a lot about Manchester Airport. The cheapest flights usually entail a stop in Europe in the country of the airline, for example KLM you would stop change planes in Holland.

Lufthansa a stop in Germany etc From London you can check BA, South African Airways (SAA), Virgin etc. For travel in South Africa, just book a flight the same as your long-haul flight and you would book a return Cape Town to Kruger International Airport (SAA still list it as Nelspruit/Mpumalanga Airport) it is a fairly new airport near Nelspruit very close to the southern end of Kruger N.P. There are some low-cost airlines operating in SA now, you should check prices on SAA, Nationwide Airlines, Kulula Airlines. Prices do vary day to day, we booked in April (for October holiday) this return flight was about £100 each, today it is £400 each!!

Accommodation, Capetown depends whether you want to be central as in the Waterfront area or out of town Sea Point, Camps Bay, Somerset West etc. Look at different postings or ask for advice here. then again get on the internet and see what you are offered. Any day trips/excursions you can book on arrival in Capetown. I would really recommend a hire car as public transport is not readily available and you can make your own excursions in your own time.

Kruger is slightly more complicated. You have the choice of private game reserves - usually very luxurious, fantastic for game drives but very expensive. Accommodation in National Parks Rest Camps varies from very basic (but clean and functional) to very nice bungalows etc and much much cheaper but of course self catering. There are restaurants/shops in the camps. or you can do as we do and have a 2 nights in a private game reserve (that really is quite sufficient) then either the rest in NP Accommodation or stay outside the park in Hazyview or Nelspruit and you can drive yourself in to Kruger for the day and also drive the opposite way into the Blyde River Canyon for the fantastic scenery, waterfalls, view points etc. It all sounds complicated but providing you can spare the time to check things on the internet you shouldn't have any problems and accommodation providers in SA are very good at replying quickly, they know you are trying to put together an itinerary and if they dont reply quickly there are plenty more who will. Really they are lovely people and can't do enough for you. Good luck! if you have any queries I will do my best to help.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

It is so easy to do all your own bookings. Do your Kruger park booking through the www.sanparks.org website. Try to stay at Lower Sabie and Satara camps as a minimum. If you would like to self-cater book a bungalow or hut with utensils. Try to get a bungalow, or better still a tent, with river view at Lower Sabie. The website clearly identifies whether the accomodation you are selecting has utensils and river or perimeter view. Even if you self-cater have a few meals in the camp restaurants. Each camp has a supermarket in which you can purchase almost anything that you might need to self-cater eg. wood, matches, fresh and canned food, eggs, bacon, bread,drinks, bottled water, etc.

As far as getting from Cape Town to Kruger park is concerned book the direct flight from Cape Town to Nelspruit International airport and hire a vehicle there. You can book this flight on the www.flysaa.com website. This will save you the 5 hour drive, and road toll fees, from Johannesburg to the park

The one thing you might like to bring with you is a few plastic dinner plates - this will enable you to make and serve your own breakfasts at the picnic sites (the picnic sites have gas appliances for cooking).

3. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2006, 15:47
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

I am afraid to differ with wild wings. There is nothing more satisfying than discovering new things by yourself. I have been to Kruger park many dozens of times and never once have I seen the necessity for a guide. I have also travelled abroad numerous times and very seldom have I needed a guide as I research my subject thoroughly before departure.

I would agree that a guide is necessary if one has very limited time but 2 weeks split between Cape Town and Kruger is more than adequate to do your own thing.

Manchester
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

Thanks for all the great advice. I think ideally we'd like to do our own thing in Cape town but then maybe do a toury type thing in Kruger. I'm probably being exceptionally niave but I've nevver been on safari before. I thought that you generally went in a 4WD with a guide in groups. Is it possible to drive yourself round? Would we not be in danger of being set upon by lions?! Sorry if this is a very stupid question.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

Regarding Kruger, you can either book accommodation in the park itself and drive around yourself or book a guided tour (in a large open sided vehicle). You could also stay outside the park, in Nelspruit or Hazyview for example and drive into the park for the day. There is a lot to see outside the park, the Blyde River Canyon has some amazing scenery. Unless you go to a Private Game Reserve (very expensive) there is no "off-roading" within Kruger and you are not allowed out of your vehicle whether it is your own or a tour vehicle, except in designated areas. So you will see the same wildlife from your own car as from a tour. You get a map on entry and usually if there any good sightings passing vehicles will alert you to them. We have been within 3 feet of a pride of lions with a 'kill'. They are so used to vehicles they totally ignore you and just get on with their own business. It really is very easy to do your own thing and then you can do it in your own time.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

REGARDING YOUR VISIT TO THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK....

It is definitley not true that you can see the same things from your vehicle as from a guided tour in a landrover. The guides are constantly in radio contact with each other to advise on sightings, also you may only do walking tours when accompanied by a guide.You also have the advantage of asking questions.A bushveld barbecue can also be arranged at night in a open camp via the guide. Night game drives can be also be undertaken with guides.This cannot be done on your own.( sightings of nocturnal animals )If this is your first visit I would strongly reccommend a guided tour, it is far more rewarding.

In Cape Town you can do 2 very informative tours over 2 days on the "CITY SIGHTSEEING" open top bus, see www.hylton ross.com Check out the website and see all available tours. One advantage of doing a guided tour is that you can ask questions. The guides are local Capetonians and therefore you are not subjected to a media informed opinion.

Your time here is limited and i am sure you do not want to spend it running around trying to organise things in a foreign country when you are supposed to be having fun, This can put a dampner on your holiday. So plan ahead and when you get here just have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2006, 21:07
Manchester
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

Thanks again everyone! Would love to do a couple of days in a priavte game reserve but will have to see how much money I can save!

Just one more quick question. When would be the best time to go to get lovely sunny weather in Capetown and good safari weather?

missouri
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town and Kruger

nomad adventures is your cheapest, and BEST way to go. they havea website. This is If you don’t mind roughing it. Take a small mat; theirs are not the best to sleep on. You get to see the whole country or just bits, what ever you chose. And you will meet people form all over the world. You will LOVE Kruger!