We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

HI,

We arrive in Cape Town on 6th September and have a hire car booked but my husband is keen of hiring a motor bike for a day (ideally longer) to do Chapmans Peak drive and out to Cape Point and return.

Does anyone see any reason why this is not a good idea or any safety aspects we need to be aware of? He is an experienced rider.

Thank you

Pretoria
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

Hi I would not think there is too much risk , just make sure you use a good company to hire from. I know there are also some companies that arrange the trip and they take you. You ride a bike they provide but they have a "tour guide" to lead the group of bikes. They do road and off-road tours.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

I do not see any problems by doing that. There is many companies that offer these services and it also depends on what type of bike you are looking for, a small scooter or maybe a Harley for the day. That is still something i would like to do one day, hire a Harley and drive along the coast of the Cape Peninsula.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

Thanks wwalford and Hank D

Just found a site with the 6 best Cape Town drives, let's just hope the weather is conducive to riding!

Getting excited........ :)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

Enjoy and have loads of fun. Just by talking about it now, it's getting the adrenalin pumping already!!!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

Cape Town is excellent for motorbike rides. Stunning scenery, lovely curves and excellent road conditions!

An excellent company for motorbike rentals is Cape Bike Travel. You can rent Harley Davidson as well as BMW bikes: http://www.capebiketravel.com/index.php

Regards

Michelle - Owner - Cape Town Guide

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

Touring the peninsula and doing chappies is relatively safe for experienced motorcycle riders. I wouldn't recommend a tourist using a rented bike around the city or suburb's main roads, though. I was a rider in Cape Town for a few years. Dangerous.

Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

Thanks for all your responses.

Slimkoppie- by 'tourist' you mean any Tom, Dick or Harry that has no clue about bikes OR any tourist?

If my husband is an experienced rider will we be ok?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

With your husband being an experienced driver, you will be ok. You just have to be careful and be alert on the road because traffic will possibly different from what you have back at home.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

BlupePerth,

I understand that he is an experienced rider. I'm saying that leisure rides on open roads are relatively safe, and should be awesome. However, I wouldn't advise someone who doesn't know cape town roads, traffic, bully-taxis, bad driver behaviour, and bad pedestrian behaviour to use a rented bike to nip around the city on.

I'll give you a couple of examples of the kinds of dangers one might encounter on our roads: When turning from one road into another, if you turn into your corresponding lane, rather than the outer lane, and then indicate to move over into the outer lane, the car that was behind you before the turn will now be beside you trying to overtake you.

Bikers here "ride the line", weave between cars, and ride up to the front of every intersection as a rule. This means that they will be expected to do so by car-drivers and the space around a biker trying to maintain his lane will not be respected.

Pedestrians walk out into the road and get hit all the time. I hit one in my car. If you hit one while riding a bike, you both go to the hospital.

I rode in Canada, and then My 750 GSXR was my sole mode of transport for my first 3 years in Cape Town, and based on that experience, I advise the above.

Forum advice doesn't have to be taken, though, just considered.

I'm sure you will both have a great time! Enjoy, and, as they say, keep the rubber side down. ;)

10. Re: Motor bike to get around Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central
Recent Conversations