We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel money card

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Ballygally, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel money card

Hi,

we're off to South Africa in November and we are thinking of taking a travel money card for our spending money as we don't want to take cash or a debit card.

Has anyone used one of these in SA? I know they are very popular in Europe,but im abit concerned as to whether you could use them on a game reserve,or in the smaller guest houses.They are classed as a mastercard though.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sharon

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel money card

Hi we are off to Cape Town in oct and have just purchased the travelex prepaid card so I hope it's accepted lol everywhere else I have travelled if they accept a credit card they will accept one of these.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel money card

When we went overseas last year to Europe, we used a prepaid travel card from our local bank, Standard Bank, so there should be no reason why yours wouldn't work here.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 20:47
NY
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel money card

i have used a visa travel money card. worked all the time at shops/restaurants but not always at the atm. i would also take something that will give you cash.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel money card

Personally I would take all three to cover yourself.

Definitely take cash for the start of your holiday unless you want to be worrying about ATMs on your arrival after a long journey.

Also a credit card and debit card, each backs up the other.

Not only is it good to have local currency on your arrival but there is always a chance you will be somewhere and the eftpos machine will be 'not working' .

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel money card

Definately take all 3 to cover yourselves just in case.

I would take about R3000 (approx. £200) to keep you going over the first few days.

The Thomas Cook SA Rand currency card was easy to manage online and worked at all Mastercard ATM's as we withdrew currency and then used this rather than using the card in shops/restaurants etc. ATM withdrawals were charged at R25 rand per withdrawal.

Remember to inform your bank that you are going to SA otherwise they may block any debit/credit card transactions. Only use these as a last resort as they can work out expensive with transaction fees.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 13:52
6. Re: Travel money card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:22