We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed and indecisive

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed and indecisive

Please help! This will be my first trip to Cape Town to celebrate my 40th birthday.Needless to say this is my dream trip of a lifetime. I have made reservations at the Cape Royale for 5 nights in Jan. I was perfectly happy with that decision until I started reading negative reviews about noise and theft. In addition to the reviews I realized the hotel is set on a busy highway and not easily accessible to the hop on bus line. I was attracted to the hotel for the following reasons, rooftop bar/pool, room service, free shuttle, apartment style setup, close proximity to V & A waterfront and other restaurants. However, I found similar hotels for less that seem suitable such as the Mandela Rhodes. I understand its in an entirely different area of Cape Town but it seems more pedestrian friendly, (we refuse to drive on vacation) not to mention its almost half the price. However, I am hesitate to switch because this hotel seems to attract famlies because of the 2bdr suites which means it maybe just as noisy. At this point Im overwhelmed and totally indecisive because there are so many choices. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I am looking to stay within the same price range (1500-2250 R) thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

Hi,

I have not stayed at either, because I'm local, but I have checked out both. Mandela rhodes will probably be a bit quieter if I were guessing, because i think there are a higher number of permanent residents in that Building. Sure, Rhodes is more pedestrian friendly, but that part of Green point is certainly not un-pedestrian friendly :)

Taxi's are everywhere. That area will be as bustling and fun as any other at that time of year. You could walk all the way to Buitengraght or the waterfront to use the HOHO bus in 10 or 15 mins max. In great weather with lots of people and street-side restaurants along the way it will hardly be miserable.

If I were arranging for a friend to visit cape town, I'd choose Mandela Rhodes out of the two you present, but I really think you are going to have an awesome time either way. Walk to waterfront, slightly longer walk to town, and when your'e doing restaurants or bars in the evening just take a taxi! its only 2kms out the way or something like that.

Don't be overwhelmed, you can't go wrong!

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

Correction, it is only around 1.2 pedestrian friendly kms (remember we built the fanwalk for world cup) from Cape Royale to Buitengragt street where i regularly see the HOHO bus stop. Summer day or night I wouldn't even look for a cab for that stretch.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

I don't think you could go wrong with either. De Waterkant is my favourite area of CT, and the Cape Royale is very close. I've not stayed there (and can't comment on review regarding theft etc), but I walk past frequently. The road is reasonalby busy, but it's not pedestrian unfriendly. It would probably be a 10+ min walk to the V&A Waterfront.

I actually live in Mandela Rhodes Place. I've never noticed lots of children and have certainly never been disturbed by them. I'm actually really suprised every time I go to the pool that there are so few people there. So don't let the thought of kids put you off Mandela Rhodes Place. I don't think it would be an issue at all.

It takes me about 20mins to walk to V&A Waterfront, but it's easy to grab a taxi if you'd prefer.

If Mandela Rhodes Place is 1/2 the price of Cape Royale - then I'd personally go for that and spend the money on food/wine/shopping/tours/attractions etc.

Mentioned in this post
De Waterkant
De Waterkant
106 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

Dear Tripadvisor administrators, please implement a 'like' function.

Global African
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

I have also not stayed there, but looking at the reviews there seem to be a lot of very positive ones. It also seems that the management have responded to some of the negative ones. I also know people who have stayed there without problems and all have been very happy with the accom.

Location is great. And having an apartment gives you more space, more flexibility and can keep costs down.

Why not write an email to the hotel manager (name is on some of the replies to reveiws, email should be available on the hotel website). Express your misgivings about your booking, tell them it is a special celebration and ask if they can set your mind at rest. Ask them to guarantee that there will be a safe in your apartment. (I always use hotel safe for my valuables, whereever I stay in the world. Sadly dsihonest people are open to temptaion everywhere).

This will at least ensure that they are aware of you and hopefully give you extra attention and ensure all ok.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

Thank you all for your replies, this has been very helpful getting a locals take on the area. It's very much appreciated. Jenaand makes a good point about spending the savings on tours and wine, I do enjoy South African wine and plan on purchasing a few bottles to take back. Thanks again.

Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

Why don't you book a room (or an entire home) for yourself for far less money through a website called www.AirBNB.com? These offered accommodations are owned, operated, and maintained by wonderful people who get reviews on their offered accommodations. Places can be as low as R160 per overnight stay! There are so many other options, depending on your budget. Some homes are luxury apartments that charge about R1000. Why would you want pay so much at a hotel?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

I have guests stayed at the Cape Royale and they have not have any complains about the place. However i can understand your concern about the noise levels and yes that is possible and can happens on a weekend. There is a nightclub right next to the hotel and yes it can get very noisy from time to time. I would also suggest that you might want to have a look at the Mandela Rhodes Place, very friendly service and also very convenient situated in the City. Taxis you can easily get to get yourself to the Waterfront and the surrounds.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

Hello, i like the Commodore Hotel, within your price range, and walking distance to the Waterfront. Also there is the City Lodge Waterfront, a but further back. BAsic price, good rooms, gorgeous breakfasts. The Portswood Hotel is also close by. Check out the websites. Just as another suggestion.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

10. Re: Overwhelmed and indecisive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 07:17