We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stellenbosch or franschoek

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
llanelli
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Stellenbosch or franschoek

Hi

Can't decide which one to stay in,is it best stay in franschoek and take a wine tour to stellenbosch? As we do not want to drive in either,or vice versa.

We fly back from here,so is the return trip to airport more important to where we base ourselves.

Only have two days ,so want cram it all in.

Thanks

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

You could stay in Franschoek and do the local wine tour.

OR stay in Stellenbosch and do a wine tour.

Or stay in one, and do a tour of both areas, on successive days.

Ultimately, your choice.

Franschoek is 65 Km ( under an hour)from the airport, and Stellenbosch about half that distance. Both easy drives

Hamburg
Level Contributor
355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

Stellenbosch gives you more a town feeling and it has got a university, whereas Franschhoek is more of an upmarket village feeling with virtually just one long main road where most of the shops, cafes and restaurants are. In Franschoek it is easier to walk to restaurants as a lot a quite central.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

From a scenery and hiking point of view I prefer Franschhoek, but from an architectural and historical point of view I prefer Stellenbosch!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

For a quicker trip to the airport, I say stay in Stellenbosch. It's also a more interesting place for your evenings, with handy restaurants. They roll up the sidewalks at night in Franschhoek.

But - staying in town will require some research. I would look here: safarinow.com/destinations/…hub.aspx Look at the descriptions of the places and focus on those actually in Stellenbosch town.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 15:02
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

Stellenbosch is a better base for getting to the airport quickly. It is also more centrally located within the winelands IMO and you've got alot more choice. I actually prefer the wines from Stellenbosch to the wines from Franschhoek with a few exceptions. Have alook at staying in either dorp or church street. Church street full of little shops, art galleries, restaurants and cafe's and has got a lovely vibe. It is always buzzling.

Have alook at the following accommodations:

- De Oude werk

- De hoek guesthouse

- Majeka house

These are all in church street and walking distance to loads of restaurants as well as most of the historical sites in town and of course the university, which is a beautiful campus.

For wine tours you can have alook at the vinehopper: www.vinehopper.co.za

If you do have a car and are looking for a beautiful setting for lunch and a wine tasting I suggest you go to Stork Conde winery in the Jonkershoek valley, just outside of town. It is simply stunning.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 15:11
Hamburg
Level Contributor
355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

Miki,

just a remark, we stayed in Majeka House (beautiful) 2 years ago and it's quite a bit out of town i.e. in an area opposite the Stellenbosch Golf Club.

OMT

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

OMT you are completely right...meant to write Coopmanshuijs.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

For more information about Stellenbosch and Franschoek you can have a look at the following websites: www.wineroute.co.za (Stellenbosch) and also www.franschhoek.org.za (Franschoek).

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

9. Re: Stellenbosch or franschoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:16