We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
llanelli
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
6 days in Cape Town

Will I find enough to do for 6 days in Cape Town. As its my first visit don't want to travel too far,but am starting to worry wont be enough to see and do?

Thanks

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

Don't need to worry, 6days will allow you to have all the things done that needs to get done in Cape Town and surrounds. From Table Mountain, Cape of Good Hope, Penguins at Bolders Beach, Stellenbosch Wine Route, maybe Whale Watching in Hermanus, Robbin Island and even Shark Cage Diving too. For the best way to get to know the City Center is via the Hop on Hop off bus, www.citysightseeing.co.za for 1day and you can include Table Mountain on this route.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

llanelli
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

Thanks hank

But I have put a day aside to go to hermanus,and I'm having another two days in wine region.

So am I still going to find enough to do,haha.

Game reserve is on the cards,but was hoping to just get some beach time?

Amanda

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

Ok so for beach time, you can base yourself in Camps Bay. The Game Reserve close to Cape Town that stands out for me is Inverdoorn Private Game Reserve. Enjoy!!

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

It doesn't sound as if you have done a lot of research on Cape Town if you are asking if there is much to do!!! Every time we stay in Cape Town we spend at least a week there and even after 6 visits, have still not seen and done all we want to. We have also spent a lot of time in the Winelands and again, there is so much to do. We usually do day trips from there to places such as Hermanus and the Cape of Good Hope. I'm sure you will have a great holiday.

llanelli
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

Thanks,but my only concern about spending a week in Cape Town was that I wouldn't have time to travel any further than the winelands

But my itinerary now done and as you say,I'm starting to think that I won't be able to fit it all in.

If you have been there 6 times do you have any must dos for a first time visit?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

For a first time visit I would recommend that you go up Table Mountain in the Cable Car, take a boat trip to Robben Island, go to Kirstenbosch National Gardens and most definitely drive down to Cape Point via Simonstown and Boulders Beach, where you can see the penguins and have a dip in the (freezing cold) Indian Ocean! The V&A Waterfront in Cape Town is a great place to walk around and do some shopping in the evenings, before eating in one of the many restaurants there.

When you visit the Winelands, Stellenbosch is a good place to base yourself. We usually stay at the Aan Dorpstraat Guesthouse, just off the main street and a few minutes walk from the centre of town. We have eaten twice in The Big Easy in Stellenbosch, a restaurant owned by the golfer Ernie Els and would highly recommend it.

There are hundreds of wine estates that you can chose from to visit...some offer museums or other things of interest, as well as wine tastings and picnics. If you are interested in birds of prey, they have a display a few times a day at Spier Wine Estate, just outside Stellenbosch.

The drive down to Hermanus takes about 1.25 hours from Stellenbosch over Sir Lowry's Pass. We really liked it down there and stayed at the Harbour House Hotel, which I would recommend. Depending on what time of year you are visiting, you may be able to go whale watching.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure this will be the first of many holidays in South Africa!!

llanelli
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

That is more or less my itinerary ! Only my stellenbosch hotel left to book,did indeed look at that guest house.but am also thinking about staying at the spier hotel.

Have you done a game reserve? Or any Cape Town restaurant suggestions. I have booked a table at la colombe. But the choice is vast.

Going end of November so I hope we get to see some whales.

Thanks

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

Hi robmac. We have stayed at both Aan Dorpstraat and Spier and both are great but in totally different ways.

Spier is a large hotel and the rooms are two stories high and set out like a village. We stayed there three years running and were lucky enough to have room 202, which has a massive patio area where we spent many a late afternoon, drink in hand watching the sunset! We were allocated that room the first time we stayed and requested it after that! The rooms are enormous and what I would call "Shabby Chic". Each section of rooms has its own small pool which is set in a pretty garden area, and ground floor rooms have direct access. There is also a larger hotel pool. The grounds as Spier are spectacular. Breakfast is buffet style with a vast array of food and eggs can be cooked to order. We ate a number of times at the main hotel restaurant in the evenings and the food is good but with a limited menu. If you want to go into Stellenbosch it is about a five minute car drive.

The Aan Dorpstraat is a lovely 7 room guest house, actually in Stellenbosch. It is run by a really nice couple who are very helpful and will book tours/restaurants etc for you. Each room is decorated in a Boutique style and has every amenity you could want. There is a small plunge pool in a pretty courtyard at the rear of the house and secure off-street parking. In the mornings you can have a continental breakfast, cooked to order breakfast...or both!!! Guests are encouraged to use the communal lounge and "honesty bar" and we have really loved our stays there.

We have never been to a game reserve as DH has a morbid fear of snakes!!!

We tend to eat at the V&A Waterfront when we are in Cape Town and would recommend Den Anker, Hildebrand and Belthezar.

9. Re: 6 days in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:20