We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
California
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

We're so excited for our daughter as she'll be studying at UCT for the semester running from this February to June. We're going to meet her the last week of her session and explore Cape Town on our own (since she'll have had several months to do so) and then we'll head to Rwanda to track the gorillas (another forum, I know). We were fortunately to spend 3 weeks in Kenya and Tanzania a few years ago so we may not carve out time for Safari and I've been reading up on Cape Town although it's all pretty overwhelming. In other words, we're still trying to figure out our itinerary--we'll have about 17 or 18 days--but are excited to start with about 4 days in Cape Town.

My request at the moment is for a recommendation for a hotel near the campus so we can be with our daughter for dinner, etc. although we'll be visiting sites during the day. There will be 4 or 5 of us (not sure if the daughter studying will want to stay at the hotel with us). Any recommendations would be helpful. I've seen many hotels suggested but not sure about the geography as we'd like to be close to our daughter.

A second question...my initial searches for flights from the San Francisco Bay Area to Cape Town reveal incredibly high fares and hours and hours of travel. If anyone has found any tips--either price or route--that make the trip over/back a little less daunting, I'd love to hear. For example, when we flew to Nairobi, we found a good fare to London, spent the night there and then picked up a Virgin Atlantic flight to Nairobi. The total fare was relatively good, we got to spend about 20 hours in London and take in a play and landed not as jet-lagged as we might have otherwise.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

You will probably find getting to Rawanda is as expensive from South Africa as it is from your home. It might be best left for another trip, when you can combine it with East Africa or Ethiopia.

Think about spending most of your time in South Africa, or if you think you might get bored (I doubt it), toss in Namibia, Botswana or Victoria Falls.

In June, your daughter, unless on some special program, will most likely be writing exams. She might finish up a lot earlier than you think, so scheduling might be quite complex until the exam time-table is published.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

The closest hotels that I can think of are the Southern Sun Newlands and the Vineyard Hotel in Claremont. You could also do a search for guest houses in the Rondebosch area.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

I agree Newlands, Claremont or Rondebosch are good areas close to UCT, there are plenty of options, find a b&b or self-catering.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

Hi

I stayed in a very good guest house in Newlands, which was close to the university called Fernwood Manor

I find guest houses much better value than hotels

Sally that runs Fernwood Manor was very friendly and helpful

www.fernwoodmanor.co.za

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
118 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

I would also recommend the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Woodstock. It's a lovely hotel, between the city centre and UCT. By car, it's ten minutes to campus and the surrounding areas.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

It really depends whether or not you have a rental car, but, I think you could really enjoy city bowl or atlantic seaboard accommodation and still pickup your daughter daily for dinner. She can also take a free shuttle to the city centre from campus (which she will know how to do by then). Taxi's are relatively cheap especially at the moment with the dollar to rand exchange rate. UCT is only around 6kms from the city centre,

If you feel that you must be in the Southern Suburbs near UCT, then have a look at the Vinyard Hotel in Claremont. It is a beautiful place.

Also, 4 days is not enough by far! You will seriously regret that! :)

Enjoy!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

I'm not sure this will help, but.... Air France currently has fares from NYC to Jo'burg by way of Paris (of course) for $800! That's less than from NYC to Paris. So they pay you to fly to South Africa. We wanted our daughter to study in CT, but she ended up in Togo in the Peace Corps. (NOT a good decision, but...) I ran into the daughter of a partner of the commuter train about 8 years ago and learned she was going to study like your daughter. I told her how wonderful SA and CT are in great detail. She is still there. She runs an NGO for children of parents with AIDS.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

If you are looking to stay at a hotel, then I would recommend either the Vineyard Hotel or the Southern Sun in Newlands. These are both a 5 to 10 minute drive from UCT.

I also recommend you look at Little Scotia Guest House in Rondebosch. It is incredibly close to UCT - about a 2 to 5 minute walk from UCT.

9. Re: visiting daughter studying at UCT -- questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:20