We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Diamonds

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Mauritius
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Diamonds

I am planning to buy diamonds in Cape Town. I received quotes from Cape Diamonds. Anyone knows the reputation of this company?

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Diamonds

There are no "deals" to be had on diamonds in South Africa. If you are travelling to buy diamonds go to Hong Kong or Dubai.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Diamonds

Hello, i agree with the previous post. I have had many clients from the US who were interested in buying diamonds here (i was at the diamond mine yesterday doing an underground tour) because popular belief is that if you buy at the source, you will get it cheaper. Diamonds are not mined in Cape Town only Pretoria and Limpopo. I would do your homework. It seems you are buying a loose, cut stone, which will come with some authentication.( only buy if it does). However, all uncut stones are sent to Europe where they are bought by dealers(site holders) and then distributed again to retailers/wholesalers. So if you are looking for a good prices, shop around. Check out these for comparatives: AFrican Romance, Bryllantia,Jewels for Africa. All these places sell to tourists as wholesalers. May be worth comparing prices.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Diamonds

Uncut diamonds are not legally obtainable in South Africa.. at least, not without a diamond dealers / cutters licence.

There are severe penalties, if found in possession of uncut stones.

As mentioned before, There are no "deals" in S.A. the price of diamonds is internationally regulated, and the best one can hope for, is to find a source which will give the buyer the benefit of a "wholesale price", and/ or, reduce his/her own profit margin, to the benefit of the buyer.

Good luck

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Diamonds

I was in Cape town earlier this year looking to buy an engagement ring. Comparatively speaking, what i paid vs. what i could get in the UK was much better. (I also shopped around in Cape Town) They helped design the ring, looked at different options on diamonds & negotiate a price. Could not be happier! I would personally recommend based on my experience!!! Good luck!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Diamonds

try shimansky diamonds on v&a wharf in the clock tower they will sell you diamonds you can then have set in your own design.there own my girl cut is the sparkliest cut ive ever seen .you cant be sold uncut diamonds unless you have a license because of the trade in blood diamonds.they also have a great museum.

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Diamonds

"Diamonds are not mined in Cape Town only Pretoria and Limpopo??" The West Coast of South Africa has some of the finest and largest deposits of diamonds in the world. The largest diamond ever found was in the Cape Province. It is the one owned by the Queen of England.

Dubai does seem to have good prices but the grading and certification is not the same. There seem to be a lot of scams going on in Dubai.

Cape Diamonds seemed like a company I could trust as all their diamonds are GIA certified and have a serial number engraved on each diamond.

I bought a 1ct GIA diamond from Cape Diamonds and had my ring hand made by them. I am absolutely loving it!! We just can't wait to show my family back in Germany. Does anyone know how to get the Tax back?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Diamonds

Anja B,

The largest diamond in the world was 1036 carats, and was found near PRETORIA, in the Transvaal ( now Gauteng), and not in the Cape Province.

It was presented to King Edward VII on the occasion of his birthday, by the Transvaal government.

It was cut into 9 large stones, and 96 smaller stones, by Mr Asscher, of Amsterdam.

The largest stones are in the British Crown Jewels, and are therefore actually owned by the British Nation.

It is also not true, as a previous poster said, that ALL uncut stones are exported.

Many stones are bought by dealers in New York, Amsterdam, antwerp, London, Tel Aviv, etc etc.

However, many diamonds are cut locally.

There are diamonds cut at the Petra Mine, near Pretoria... in fact they have a school, which teaches the trade.

There are diamond cutting works in downtown Johannesburg, and perhaps elsewhere as well.

I personally know (knew, because two are deceased, and one has left the trade) three diamond cutters in Johannesburg.

When I was a diamond sorter, working for "Diamond Corporation", in downtown Johannesburg, many years ago, I was taught that a "Cape" diamond, is one with a yellow colour, which could vary from pale buttercup. through lemon yellow, all the way to deep almost amber.

These are possibly rarer than than "white", and should probably command a higher price, were they more popular

Diamonds come in all colours, by the way, white, yellow, green, blue, brown, even black.

There is also no such thing as a naturally occurring "flawless" diamond.

Flawed diamonds are cut in such a way as to eliminate, hide, or reduce the flaws.

This process results in the ridiculously high price for those little pieces of "flawless" crystalised carbon that people like to own.

In order to get the VAT back, you need to present the original Tax Invoice, and the goods, to the Tax inspection desk at the airport, before checking in, when leaving South Africa. After the invoice has been stamped, you go to the Tax office, after security and passport control, fill in the claim forms, and get your refund.

You will not get the full 14%, because a percentage is retained as an administration fee.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Diamonds

Birmingham Rebecca, a few posts back is incorrect about so called "blood diamonds".

The so called IDB laws ( Illicit Diamond Buying) were begun many years ago, in the late 18th Century, in the Cape Colony.

They had nothing to do with so called "blood diamonds", which are a comparatively recent phenomenon.

There is no doubt, the licencing laws probably do help, somewhat, with the blood diamond problem, ..... BUT......

They were initially brought in, to prevent anyone without a licence, from buying or selling diamonds on the "black market".

This was to protect the profits of the Kimberley diamond mines, in general, and the diamond mines owned by Cecil John Rhodes, in particular.

It was felt that if someone sold uncut stones without a licence, those stones must have been misappropriated (stolen) from one of the mines, and therefore the mining company would lose the value of the stones.

I know, Petra Diamond mine today, has a policy of reward, for an worker handing in any uncut stone he/she may have picked up.

They get 100% of the cash value of the uncut stone, as an incentive to prevent the diamonds disappearing into the 'black market", and it works, as this is more than they'd get selling the stones illegally on the black market, and it keeps the stones "legit".!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Diamonds

Interesting info, thanks Gavin.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 09:19
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Diamonds

Correction, I said late 18th century. I meant late 1800's, i.e. late 19th Century.

Apologies for the error.