Hopefully someone can help clear up the mystery for me since we're leaving for Capetown in a couple of weeks. I thought I was fine with the current converter we have (1600 watts) but am now reading that it might fry out my battery chargers and should only be used for high output appliances like hair dryers. Is this true? I've used it elsewhere and have to admit the battery was pretty warm by the time it was charged - and I've noticed a decrease in my battery life as well (don't know if it's related to this or not though). I've learned that we need a 3-prong, ROUND adapter and will purchase a couple of those but I'm baffled about the converter since I've also read conflicting reports that a 1600 watt converter won't hurt small appliances, you simply don't need the extra power and a 50 watt converter will do the job.
Thanks for any advice you have out there!