We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi advice - Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi advice - Cape Town

Hello we will shortly be staying at The Rockwell Apartments 32 Prestwich Street, Greenpoint and I was wondering the best way of getting to restaurants in the evening. I believe it gets dark just after 7 pm so I would imagine even if we were going to the Waterfront we would still need to get a taxi if it was dark? Would we be best asking the hotel desk to ring us a taxi? How much would a journey to say Sea Point or Camps Bay be from The Rockwell (just roughly) And once we have eaten am I correct that our best method of getting a taxi back would be to ask the restaurant to call us one? We will be based here for 8 nights so we would like to try eating in all the different districts if possible. If any responders would just like to make one restaurant recommendation that would be fantastic. Thank you.

Jean

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

I have just read that the Rockwell has a complmentary bus to the Waterfront so that will be helpful.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

Hi, best is to ask your hotel/restaurant to arrange a taxi for you. Otherwise you can ring one yourself, we always use Excite taxis or Rikkis, both very reputable. Looking at about R40/R50 for a one-way trip. BTW is Rockwell not in De Waterkant? You are looking at between R9 - R12 per kilometer on average. So to Campsbay you are looking at approx. R60 - R90 one way.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

Thank you miki121 - I just copied the address from the Rockwell website. It looks like the prices are very affordable then - even Camps Bay is only about £5 our money so that is good to know. Do you tip taxi's about 10 to 20 % then?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

Others might differ but I never actually tip, however the guys never have change so in the end we always end up tipping.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

Hi Jean

The Rockwell doesn't actually have a shuttle to the Waterfront. Apparently, that was a promotion they ran some time ago, and it still seems to be mentioned on a lot of websites.

The concierge will call you a taxi, or just keep the number for Excite or Rikkis or something similar in your phone.

Walking to the Waterfront will take you 10-15mins and is very OK in daylight. I'd probably grab a cab at night (about R40-50)

As mentioned - taxis will be approx. R10/km for Camps Bay/Sea Point.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

oh thanks Jenaand - I just noticed a few of the reviewers of the apartment we are staying in had mentioned the shuttle. Would have been nice but never mind. Thanks for all the other info. Jean

7. Re: Taxi advice - Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:18