We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Estate Suggestions

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Estate Suggestions

We are going to Franschoek at the beginning of February for 3 nights. One day we will do the wine tram so the estates on that route are already catered for, However, we will be driving from CT on the first day and thought about stopping somewhere for lunch/wine tasting stellenbosch or thereabouts as we won't be able to check into our B&B until later and it's not very far from CT. Any suggestions? We like a good full bodied red. Then the last full day, we thought about doing a bit of wine tasting anywhere between Fh, Stel and Paarl, probably 3 tastings (one of us will just have to spit). I was thinking Jordan but might like to try a couple of the smaller estates. Suggestions please. Because I know I will get so many suggestions I will decide on a number of votes basis, unless they are so far apart that we can't physically do them!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance

Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
Cape Town Wine Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

Hi Joyce

In Franschhoek, I would definitely recommend Lynx and Stonybrook, although you will have to pr book at the later but it isn't a hassle. Just get your guest house to do it. I think they were being swamped by visitors and not getting the day job done. I had an excellent, friendly and informative tasting here. If you could also try Boukenhoutskloof. I had a bad tasting many years ago, but I am going to give them a second chance in March

If you are thinking about lunch at Jordan, I have been reliably told it is a long, leisurely lunch! So you would need to make time. It is in a beautiful setting and definitely worth visiting for a tasting. I see they are opening a deli there too very soon, which might be a lunch option.

I also like De Morgenzon next door. They play music to their vines!

Mulderbosch is also on my list to visit, although it closed on Mondays. They do a pizza lunch.

For Franschhoek to Paarl, I would really recommend Babylonstoren, not particularly for their wines, as I thought they were pretty average, but for the wonderful gardens, leave at least an hour to walk round, and I would really recommend lunch there at Babel. It is in a beautiful setting and they do wonderful sales, if you are after something lighter (and fab chips!!!)

Other wineries I like in Paarl are Glen Carlou, Spice Route. The former has an art gallery attached (bit wacky for my taste!) and Spice Route has many attractions besides wine, which would fit in your category, chocolate tasting, glass blowing studio, and I I think it now also has a microbrewery?

If you are in Paarl! Ridgeback and Rhebokskloof are also with visiting

Of course, there are far too many for you to choose from now and don't forget those on the Helshoogate Pass, as you driving from Stellenbosch to Fransvhhoek - Delaire, Tokara, Thelema. Just thought you might also like Camberley, also on the Helshoogate pass but nearly on the Franschhoek side. They only make red wines.

Happy tasting!

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

Hi Joyce

Can recommend Bodega restaurant at Dornier Estate in Stellenbosch for a good lunch with wonderful views from the terrace.

I like Muratie for a different wine tasting experience full of history of the estate.

regards

Hugh

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

I agree with all of Lisa's picks! Particularly Stony Brook, one of my absolute favourites! I can also add Vrede and Lust, easy to combine with Babylonstoren. And then of course Jordan! My favourite for lunch and just about the best mussles i've ever had

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

Thanks for the reminder about Vrede en Lust. Not been for a few years, so will add to my next visit!

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am sure I will get loads more but I have already compiled a list based on your comments. We'll see what else comes up. Only 6 1/2 weeks to go!!!!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

On your first day you could drive to Somerset West and visit Vergelegen, a lovely (and furnished) estate house, gardens, 300yr old camphor trees and some great wine. They have a new tasting room and good restaurants. Next door is Morgenster which has some very good reds (and olive oil) and on your way up the R44 you could do Rust en Vrede for more excellent reds.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
149 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

For something a little different you could try The Spice Route just a little further on from Delhiem. There is a micro brewery on the farm as well and you can do wine as well as Craft beer tasting. The lawn out front has a spectacular view. Restuaranr also serves a decent lunch

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

A little late with this one but if you like full bodied reds I would suggest a visit to Grangehurst. It's located off the R44 near Eikendal winery. It has a small intimate tasting room and concentrates only on wine, no restaurant or shop. Jeremy Walker is the winemaker and only releases his wines when they are ready to drink. Just a little further on near Paradyskloof you can find Vriesenhof, they make an amazing Pinot Noir in a beautiful setting.

You could do these on the way out or on the way back. For lunch you could go to Guardian Peak or Overture, both top class with my personal preference for the former, both restaurants have spectacular views. As an alternative, you could try Delaire Graff which is at the top of the Helshoogte pass. This is possibly the best view from a restaurant table in the whole of the Cape.

I would suggest making a reservation in advance for any of these as they tend to be quite busy.

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

jordan is fine for both wine and food but book in advance for the restaurant or alternatively they have a bakery and serve platters with tastings.Right next door is De Morgenzon which also has excellent wine and a lovely garden setting.

10. Re: Wine Estate Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27