We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town road trip

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Durban, South Africa
1 post
Save Topic
cape town road trip

Hi

My family and I are planning a road trip to Cape Town from Durban.We would like to depart on the 2nd of January and arrive in Cape Town by the 3rd of January 2014.I would like to know which places to stop at as a resting point and places to see on our drive to Cape Town.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town road trip

That is an enormously long drive to make in 1 day - certainly not for sightseeing as it appears to be +1600km. Is that what you intended in your post?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town road trip

1600 to 1700Km, depending on route.

18 hours driving, excluding re fueling and comfort stops!

A halfway stop ( probably overnight), would be advisable, but there would not be time for much sightseeing!

I would guess Gariep dam is about half way.

There are a number of guest houses and resorts:

places.co.za/accommodation/…gariep-dam

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town road trip

More than 18 hours driving if you stick to the N2. The roadworks - stops/gos near Kokstad and Qunu are probably still pretty bad and add hours to your journey. If you hit Mthatha at the wrong time of day, it can take forever to get through. Plettenberg Bay to George has many slow (60km/h) sections.

Best go inland.

4. Re: cape town road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:17