We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Locality / City area to stay at in Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Karachi
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which Locality / City area to stay at in Cape Town

Hi all, Will appreciate some advice on my first-time travel to Cape Town please.

We are a family of 4, including 2 senior sitizens and are planning our first visit to Cape Town in May 2014.

We are thinking of a 15 - 18 day trip, out of which i am thinking of spending, say, 10 days in Cape Town and the other 8 in Johannesberg / Sun City.

I was wondering which locality / city area of Cape Town would be preferable to stay at from a tourist perspective. The senior citizens with us cannot walk for long distances so easy access of public transport would be a definite plus.

I dont know how convenient is it to hire a self-driven car there and how complex are the roads within the city.

Any other suggestions for a first-timer would also be most welcome please.

Many thanks

Sohail

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Locality / City area to stay at in Cape Town

Hi Sohail. I would first like to suggest that you cut your stay down in Johannesburg/Sun City. 3-4 days at Sun City is more than enough and 0 days in Johannesburg is fine. I would rather extend your stay in Cape Town and whilst there you can spend a few nights in Franschoek/Stellenbosch if you wanted to. May is quite a nice time of the year. Not too cold yet but becoming winter. Not the rainy season but not beach weather either. Up until a month or so ago public transport in Cape Town has been non existent but hopefully by May it will be a lot better.Already the My Citi Bus goes from the City of Cape Town to the waterfront and through to Bantry Bay - soon it will be extended to Camps Bay.My suggestion would be to stay either on the Sea Point beachfront or Mouille Point or the Waterfront. THe cheapest would be Sea Point but you need to say what your budget is. Driving a car is easy in Cape Town so it would be the best option. As May is not high season it should not be too expensive

Karachi
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Locality / City area to stay at in Cape Town

Many thanks for the advice dear divacape.

Our per night hotel budget for 4 people is in the range of US$ 120 - 180 per night for a total of 2 rooms. I was also looking to see if we could get an apartment on a short-term rental instead of getting two hotel rooms and will very much appreciate some guidance on this option.

Any idea of approximately how much would it cost per day to rent a self-driven car?

Also, any view on how the City Bowl area would be for staying? Can you please give me some idea of the pros and cons of staying in City Bowl Vs the localities that you have mentioned.

Thanks again for your help

Sohail

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Locality / City area to stay at in Cape Town

Booking.com currently has 2 bedroom apartments in Mandela Rhodes Place for $124 - the 'quality' property is very conveniently situated in the CBD - handy for the HOHO bus and also the MyCiti bus. Many of the apartments have great views of Table Mountain. They also have undercover off street parking if you decide to hire a car. You can see other properties at the booking.com website, but I think MRP would suit you well if you wish to be in the CBD.

4. Re: Which Locality / City area to stay at in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 06:19