We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's and other cash.

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
ATM's and other cash.

Can someone please tell me which denominations of notes are dispatched from ATM,s and which other notes and coins we will encounter.

Thank you in advance

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,905 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM's and other cash.

Here's what you'll see:

Coins 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, R 1, R 2, R 5

Banknotes R 10, R 20, R 50, R 100, R 200

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM's and other cash.

That was QUICK.

Thank you

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM's and other cash.

Eileen

As always "it depends". Depends on which bank ATM and how much you ask for (and what is still left in the machine!).

I use most bank's machine at one time or another. Lets assume that you ask for R2,000. Nedbank machines will probably give you 10 x R200. A nice feature here is that the ATM will report what notes it has - so if it's the end of a weekend and the macine only has R20 and R10 notes you know not to ask for R4,000 unless you have big pockets! Nedbank will also give you a maximum of R4,000 in a single withdrawal.

FNB is I think the only bank that gives you a mixture of notes. For R2,000 they normally give 18 x R100 2 x R50 and 5 x R20. Haven't used FNB much recently but the used to only give a single withdrawal maximum of R2,000.

Standard Bank normally gives only R100's. They do however have the biggest maximum of R5,000 (assuming that this is not higer with conversion than your home bank allows.

ABSA normally gives either only R100's or only R200's depending on the branch. I think their single maximum is currently R3,000.

I am sure others will say that their local machine is different, but this is what I have found arround Cape Town.

One other useful feature that Nedbank and Standard Bank machines both have is that on the slip after you've made a withdrawal, it will tell you, converted to Rand, the amount you still have available in your home account.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM's and other cash.

Well FNB often give only ZAR 200 notes. it is big, but still it is money

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:16
5. Re: ATM's and other cash.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:17