We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden Route Game Reserve

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Garden Route Game Reserve

Just about to pay our 50% deposit and wanted to check out other peoples experiences first. Can anyone let me know what the chances are of seeing the big five there?

Thanx

Claire

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden Route Game Reserve

Hi Claire!

If you mean the "Garden Route Game Lodge", then you will see 4 of the Big 5 (Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo and Lions in a seperate section)

Be aware that the area is very small and they mostly have 2 of each species. I have been there in the beginning of this year and liked it, but I haven't been to any major parks like Addo or Kruger. If you plan to go to one of the big National parks as well during your stay in South Africa, then you can definitely skip the Garden Route Game Lodge. But if you simply want to see African animals for the first time, then it's a nice place to go. The accommodation is lovely and the food is GREAT!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden Route Game Reserve

The big five is very difficult to find especially the Leopard as it hunts mainly at night. Lions are kept in seperate areas to other game, along the Garden Route area. Most facilities say that they have the big five on theis reserves but unless they are all in seperate enclosures you have no gaurentee of seeing all of them.

There are good game viewing experiences to be had along that route. I just spent time at a Game reserve called "Nyaru" which is close to Mosselbay. The experience and service was fantastic. It offers unbeatable value.