We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Cape Town From the UK

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London
Level Contributor
248 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi there. I am planning to go to Cape Town, garden route etc next Christmas with my family as an amazing birthday celebration. We've been looking at flights to and from Cape Town and it seems that they aren't out yet for the return which is pretty frustrating. Has anyone got any advice whether it's best to go straight to Cape Town and back from there or as someone suggested perhaps back from Johannesberg? Also, any advice on airlines. We flew BA to Thailand recently and it was awful - would love to avoid but I think we may be forced to do so. Only have the two week Christmas holiday due to the kids school so I'm under pressure to make the most. Obviously, any advice re staying in Cape Town, Garden route and safari would be marvellous as I'm really feeling a bit ignorant about it all and feel a bit overwhelmed. My kids are 14 and 16 so well up for travelling around. Thank you!

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

I would spend a week in Cape Town, loads to see and do, a fantastic place and a week doing the garden route and safari.

Personally it is a long drive and in my opinion not worth it.

Car hire costs around £200 for two weeks with Avis.

We are here now and it is very cheap, if I were you I would get some rands now. Travelfx do really good rates.

The place to stay in Cape Town is Camps Bay.

Lots of accommodation to rent.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi Rita

We too are spending next Christmas in South Africa. I have just booked a fly drive with Virgin into Johannesburg. The plan is to spend a couple of days there then a few days safari in the Kruger and then fly internally down to Cape Town to spend the rest of the time. We fly back to Jo'burg on the morning of Boxing Day for our flight back to the UK that evening. I do note that the Emirates flights aren't available for a week or two yet but that would probably mean connecting through Dubai if you wanted to spend a night or two there. Let us know how your planning goes! I have just booked somewhere to stay in the Kruger but still deciding on the other areas :-)

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

We just came back from Cape Town and went with Lufthansa via Munich.

I'm not a lover of BA and find Lufthansa fits the bill!

Lufthansa Allow you to pre book you seats as soon as you have paid for the ticket.

Trailfinders are very good plus they don't charge any credit card charges and found the fares are only a few pounds more than some other companies.

You will have to pay for your flights when you book them to guarantee the price quoted.

I usually book mid February to fly out over Xmas.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi Lucyjames

Hope you had a wonderful holiday?

The main benefit of Trailfinders is that if you book the flights and car together, you only have to pay a deposit of £175 and the balance 2 months before travel.

Just did this yesterday and for 17 nights in November - LBA/EDI - LHR -CPT, out economy and back premium economy with a decent sized car was £1300 each, which I thought was ok!

Hope you will post some reviews and any new tips you picked up!

Lisa

London
Level Contributor
248 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Thanks so much all of you! Great advice. Am liking the sound of Trailfinders. I'd be happy flying via a European hub but we are so tied to the kids holidays 19 Dec to 3 Jan that I am worried it would add to much time to the travel out. Will look into it though. Susan T, wondered why you didn't think doing the Garden route was worth it or did I misunderstand?

Blackburn
Level Contributor
327 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

I am wanting to book flights from Manchester to Joburg returning via Cape Town. We flew with Turkish airlines at Christmas very cheap. Upon checking for this Christmas the flight cost has doubled we paid £1200 for 2 they are wanting £2577 any suggestions ?

Edited: 15 January 2014, 12:47
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Bickers

Wait! There is every chance that prices will come down - if even for a short period. When did you book last year?

Blackburn
Level Contributor
327 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi VDC January 15th happy new year to you would be very upset if I cannot visit at Christmas

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

I would wait a few weeks - they are probably high as the other airlines haven't released prices yet. I'm also looking but usually have booked mid February.

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

We have used Air France many times via Paris very short waiting period and you save about £250 per person, plus its a night flight so you can sleep, that is to JNB we normally have a week in Kruger then fly Kulula to Cape Town we once done a wine tour on bicycles. great fun, they take you in a minibus with your bikes on a trailer ,once at the winelands the roads are empty, the kids will love it good luck P.S. it would not be a bad idea to buy some rand now. great rates

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:32