We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Humshaugh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
August in Cape Town

We are hoping to spend a month in SA during August and would like some info on recent years' weather patterns. The plan is to start off in Cape Town and explore that area then drive the garden route to Port Elizabeth, go on safari for a few days and visit the wine lands. We are a couple in our 50s, have travelled extensively independently but not been to SA before. The possibility of lots of rain is a concern. Any thoughts on this, how long to take over each part of the itinerary and which game parks have good sightings in August, would be very welcome.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August in Cape Town

I would say that any and all our Game Parks can yield good sightings, year round, but August is probably better than high Summertime.

As to rain... well August is coming to the end of the rainy season in the Western Cape, and not yet the beginning of the rainy season inland, so I shouldn't think you need to concern yourself with rain.

(even in the rainy season, it doesn't pour down constantly, day after day.)

However, with climate change happening, who can say?

How long to spend over each part of the itinerary is really your subjective choice, depending on what your priorites are, but I would suggest about 10 days in Cape Town/Winelands, a week garden route,

a week Kruger National Park, and a few days in Johannesburg.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
26 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August in Cape Town

We were in the Cape last August - 2 nights in the Cederberg; 2 nights in Franschhoek; 4 nights in Knysna and a week in Cape Town. During that period we had 2 very wet days and a few very windy days, but for the most part it was sunny - over in in Knysna we even had warm enough days to sit out on the beach. So don't worry about weather.

Can't comment on game viewing - we did that in the North before driving down. As to an itinerary your question is a bit too open for me to give a helpful answer. We loved the places we went to. The only advice I'd give is not to choose a schedule that means you're driving all the time. Spend 2 nights or more at each place you stop.

We enjoyed our holiday so much we will be there again this August too :-)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: August in Cape Town

Hi Haywards57,

You'll love SA, everyone does.

Cape Town weather can be unpredictable, and with August being the tail end of winter, it is difficult to say, but more than likely you will have a mix of sunny days, windy days, and expect some rain over the time, but probably not torrential downpours.

In so far as game parks go, if this is your 1st SA trip I would highly recommend the Kruger Park area, and probably a combination safari of a private lodge and Kruger National Park, budget allowing. You could also include a couple of nights at Addo Elephant on the Garden Route side, as well as Shamwari Private Game Reserve. Game viewing is generally good throughout the year. I would plan on at least 3 nights for a safari, and if you plan to do a combination then no less than 6 nights, split 3 nights each, but having a whole month you could also manage a few more nights, and would maybe add 1 or 2 nights and definitely a night or 2 in Hazyview or Graskop for the Panorama Route while in the Kruger area.

For Cape Town about 7 nights and the winelands about 4 nights, and then 6 - 7 nights for the Garden Route.

That should leave with a few days for JHB if you wanted.

Good luck with the planning.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Tailor-Made Safaris & Tours

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August in Cape Town

The weather in the Eastern Cape is normally good in august generally the day time temperatures are in the early 20’s and cooler at night, we sometimes have a couple of rainy days which classes as winter but this year winter passed us by.

Cape Town as all the other posters have said can also have rain but not for long, if you want to go up Table Mountain I would go as soon as you have chance as the table cloth descends quite often.

The bush dies down in the winter so game viewing is very good, also you can find some reduced price accommodation, my all-time favourite accommodation in Franschhoek Akademie is very reasonable in August and Shamwari one of our best and most expensive game reserves has a pay 2 stay 3 special.

My advice as always is to visit the Addo National Park, and Woodall Country House which is also lovely again has a reduced price in August.

Colin Eastcapetours

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August in Cape Town

We are also going to Cape Town in August and have a similar itinerary but we are only going for 2 weeks. I think August is the end of the dry season actually. We chose August because the game is easier to find due to the lack of water.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August in Cape Town

August can be very variable. We actually had really good weather during our 5 days last August although beforehand had apparently been awful (even though we had some nice days on the Garden Route). It was nice enough to go out on a boat from Simons Town whale watching and spend an afternoon in a beer garden in Newlands. Also plenty of trips to the park with the kids.

But on our last day in CT, we could see the clouds rolling in over Table Mountain, feel the wind getting up and the temperature getting distinctly chillier - and the rain arrived as we flew out. So be prepared for variety, if nothing else!

Humshaugh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August in Cape Town

Thanks so much for all your replies. It has helped me look more closely at the places you have suggested and it has also thrown up a few more questions.

Does anyone have a view on whether there is much difference between Shamwari or Amakhala game reserves and if we were to visit one of those, would you also recommend visiting Kruger (or just Kruger as it is our first time on safari)?

If making a choice during August, would you extend travel to Drakenberg or spend time in the west on the Panorama route and Cederberg mountains? We are looking for the best scenery rather than days' hiking.

I agree that we should have at least two nights in any one of our destinations - we don't want to be in the car all the time. Do you have suggestions for towns/villages to stay on the Garden route? Thanks.

8. Re: August in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:18