We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
121 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Hi, I will be staying in a b&b in Bo-Kaap.

Is it safe to walk around that area and City Bowl during day time?

Also I am planning to take the My Citi shuttle from the airport to Civic Center. Again can I just walk to the b & b which is only 10 minutes walk from there (I'll have a trolley with me)?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Hi

After several trips to Cape Town with friends, I spent 4 days there last year as a solo female and had absolutely no qualms about walking around the city centre during the day.

However, I'm not sure I would walk across town with a trolley suitcase. It screams tourist with all my belongings with me!

Can you arrange a shuttle to your accommodation? I'm sure your guest house can help you or there are lots of posts on here with recommendations

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Yes, you'll be fine. Have fun!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Hi 58renate

Who told you it is a 10 min walk??????

Get a taxi from the Civic Centre!!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Hi 58renate

As a Capetonian, I can verify that it is completely safe to walk alone in the city. The My Citi shuttle is a quick and convenient way to get to the City. However, i would not recommend the walk to Bo Kaap. Not sure where your b&b is, but it is quite a distance from the Civic Centre - definitely more than 10 mins. Bo Kaap is also on the slopes of Signal hill, some roads are very steep and cobbled and could prove to be a challenge with a suitcase. I would also advise making arrangements with your guest house to collect you from the civic centre.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Why would it be less safe than any other city in the world?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
121 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

Thank you all for your feedback.

I'll make arrangements for a shuttle with my guesthouse then. Seems to be the best option.

7. Re: female solo traveller: is walking alone safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:16